Granting new user view permissions works on just 80% of sets in geodatabase.

08-30-2023 07:57 PM
PaulHuffman6428
New Contributor

I have been retired since 2019,  but I got asked by my old agency to help them and a new hire to figure out the enterprise geodatabase I set up around 2015 using Desktop 10.3.1 and MS SQL Server 2012, and Windows domain log ins. I’ve had a hard time today getting used to how ESRI now handles enterprise accounts. I was able to make a new account for myself to get back into the community without now being in an agency.

I pointed them to documentation and links that I left behind.  I walked them through adding a new employee with a new OS login to the four enterprise geodatabases, using a database owner connection and the Add User tool.  But for one geodatabase, the new user could view only one data element.  I tried the Change Privileges tool from the Data owner connection to add view privileges for the new to the rest of the items in the geodatabase,  tool kept bombing out on about 20% of the items, with messages that said tables didn’t exist.  I couldn’t figure out what was going on, and had to promise them that I would come back soon to figure this out.

I had an idea that the tables and features that bombed might be owned by mistake by some other user than the expected data owner login, but couldn’t figure out how to check this with Catalog.  Is that something that needs to be looked at with SQL  Management Studio?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Follow my database guide books and database template scripts for SQL Server. You can use the Production Mapping guide books, they are generic and can be applied to any industry.

community.esri.com - Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Databases Best Practices

the guidebooks and database template scripts will show you how to proper create the data owner user and the editor and viewer users and show the proper way to set permissions via roles, all using SQL Server Management Studio via SQL statements without having to use the ArcGIS Privileges Tool for example.

"Intended for SQL Server Database Administrators with Advanced Enterprise Geodatabase Knowledge."

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
A_Wyn_Jones
Esri Contributor

If you want to be sure the user will have read access to all data on the Dataowner schema, you could try the following:

On the SQL instance, go to Security > Logins. Select the OS user and view properties.

Go to the User mapping tab. Change the default schema and select the db_datareader role:

A_Wyn_Jones_2-1693471012269.png

This should give select permission on everything within that schema and should be viewable through ArcMap.

"We've boosted the Anti-Mass Spectrometer to 105 percent. Bit of a gamble, but we need the extra resolution."
0 Kudos
PaulHuffman6428
New Contributor

Is that Security > logins in SQL studio? 

0 Kudos