Select to view content in your preferred language

How to treat Severe ArcGIS Server Logs for System/DynamicMappingHost.MapServer?

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
Yogesh_Chavan
New Contributor III

We are facing the below severe error logs on ArcGIS Server.

Trying to understand what could be triggering this or is there some ways to minimize/fix these errors?

Yogesh_Chavan_0-1715585577223.png

Yogesh_Chavan_0-1715585185419.png

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Yogesh_Chavan, are you services configured with Shared or Dedicated instances? 

JakeSkinner_0-1715599047492.png

I've seen this error before when all services are configured with Shared.  Try changing the services to Dedicated.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/administer/windows/configure-service-instance-setting...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi @Yogesh_Chavan, are you services configured with Shared or Dedicated instances? 

JakeSkinner_0-1715599047492.png

I've seen this error before when all services are configured with Shared.  Try changing the services to Dedicated.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/administer/windows/configure-service-instance-setting...

Yogesh_Chavan
New Contributor III

Thank you @JakeSkinner for your insights.

We have 94 services on the server and very few are using the dedicated pool and all the others are on shared pooling.

Do we have to change pooling for all the services?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

I would highly recommend the more frequently used services be switched to dedicated.  I typically only recommend a few services be set to shared instance type.

berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

I agree with @JakeSkinner.  We configure our map services in a similar way.  We reserve the use of shared instances for services we are quite certain will be used infrequently.  About 20 map services (or 25%) use the shared pool.

Bernie.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I would agree with both @JakeSkinner and @berniejconnors  - our Federated site is a 2 machine cluster, 8 cores each.  So for the site, I have the dynamic mapping service pooling set to 8 number of instances, giving me 16. But you shouldn't set the number of instances it can use to more than the number of cores you have.

So as a rule of thumb for the dynamic service, I would publish no more than 30 simple map services services to the shared instance.  In practice, I have about the same as Bernie, 15 -20 or so simple map image services.

As for the warning about the dynamic service crashing, I do not see that very often and since there is not much I can do about it, I just ignore it.  The service recovers and I move on.

I use Monitor, and for my any of my shared or dedicated instances, I can see the % saturation.  If I were to see one of my shared instances using up to like 75%, I would consider moving that instance to dedicated.  Otherwise, that might be or maybe could be the cause of the dynamic map service instance crashing. . .

0 Kudos