Image services start Problem

Jump to solution
04-05-2023 02:08 AM
RedaAli
New Contributor III

Hi, 
 We have a lot of image services published on ArcGIS image server 10.9.1
 type of service: imagery layer

The problem is that Every day Morning these services are not shown when viewing on ArcGIS java script or when viewing by applications. this behavior happens to all imagery layers published on the ArcGIS image Server.

and after first time it shows , no issue.

I reviewed the logs i found this error Error handling request to service 'servicename.ImageServer'. Unable to process request. No instances for 'servicename/ImageServer' were available for 60.234 seconds. Wait timeout exceeded.

the service are published as shared instances 

any suggestion for solving the issue

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

If this only happens the first time the services are accessed each morning the problem could be that all of the services have zero instances running and the server cannot activate an instance before the timeout expires. What are the min and max instance setting for each service?  How many Arcsoc.exe are running in Task Manager early in the morning?

If all your min instances are set to zero that could be your problem. Try setting min instances to 1 for the most popular services. 

Image_Service_Pooling.png

All idle services will be shut down after 30 minutes (1800 seconds) with the default publishing settings for an image service.

UPDATE:

I would not recommend publishing all of your image services as shared instances.  You should evaluate your services to determine which ones are used most frequently.  Those services should use a dedicated instance.  The services that are used infrequently can use a shared instance.

I use this python script to generate statistics for my maps services.  It should also work for image services:

Bernie.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
berniejconnors

Hello,

If this only happens the first time the services are accessed each morning the problem could be that all of the services have zero instances running and the server cannot activate an instance before the timeout expires. What are the min and max instance setting for each service?  How many Arcsoc.exe are running in Task Manager early in the morning?

If all your min instances are set to zero that could be your problem. Try setting min instances to 1 for the most popular services. 

Image_Service_Pooling.png

All idle services will be shut down after 30 minutes (1800 seconds) with the default publishing settings for an image service.

UPDATE:

I would not recommend publishing all of your image services as shared instances.  You should evaluate your services to determine which ones are used most frequently.  Those services should use a dedicated instance.  The services that are used infrequently can use a shared instance.

I use this python script to generate statistics for my maps services.  It should also work for image services:

Bernie.

AngusHooper1

Ditto. Common feedback and best practice is to not use shared instances for imagery services.

Also, you may want to look into how ArcGIS Server is accessing the underlying data at a protocol level (e.g. SMB). If this issue is occurring daily then there may be a session timeout/cache issue.