Layers of a ArcMap Project are not displayed correctly after beeing published as WMS

11-15-2012 05:41 AM
StephanLuther
New Contributor
Hello,

i habe problem with the symbology of a WMS published with my ArcGIS Server.

In short: All of my WMS layers are listed in the table of contents, but with missing symbology and are, except of 3, not displayed i the map pane.

First some introducing information:

I use ArcDesktop 10.1 (Advanced) on Win7x64 and ArcServer 10.1 (ArcGIS for Server Advanced) on OpenSuse 12.

What do i want to do?:

I have a ArcMap  Project (mxd) with a lot of Layers (some grouped) that are derived from a polygon shape of personal geodatabase.
These Layers are joined with a table by an odbc connection from a mysql database, and are mainly symbolized with categories (unique values, many fields). So far so good.

This Project i want to publish as a wms service by using the ArcGIS Server.

I have an administrative and a publisher connection to my server, and can access arcgis manager.

When i'm publishing my service as a wms from inside of arcmap, everything seems to be fine.

I only got some errors, which should not (in my opinion) be the source of my problem:
Layers draw time may be affected by slow join access times.
Data source is not registered with the server and data will be copied to the server.
Standalone tables data source is not registered with the server and data will be copied to the server.
Layer doesn't have an attribute index on fields used for a join.
Map is being published with data copied to the server using data frame full extent.
Layer draws at all scale ranges.

Even the Preview of the Service works fine.

During the publishing process the data is copied to the server.
After publishing, ArcGIS Manager ist telling me that the service is running and i even got a nice preview thumbnail 😉

When i'm accessing the wms with arcmap (i also tried google earth, arcgis online and the preview of ArcGIS Manager using the ArcGIS JaveScript API) the layers are listed correctly on the table of contents but ... but only 3 out of approximately 50 Layers are displayed.

I created a layerpackage out of the project and published it, with the same result. 😞

But if i'm exporting one of the layers as an shapefile, open it in a new instance of arcmap, readjusting (as good as possible) the symbolization and then publish it, i got what i saw in ArcMap (that's what i want).

I think it has something to do with the symbology, but i'm completely new at ArcGIS Server, so perhaps i miss something important.

Every help, idea, or link to an other thread would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
StephanLuther
New Contributor
I got a little further....

apparently the problem seems to be the joined table from the odbc connection.

Although ArcMap is telling me that the data of the joined table will be copied to the server:

"Standalone tables data source is not registered with the server and data will be copied to the server."

that seems not to happen.

I know that i can't register the mySQL Database with ArcGIS Server, but why will the table data not be copied to the server?

Any Ideas? Solutions? Workarounds?

Stephan
0 Kudos
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
(bump)

I'm having the same issue, more or less, except that I simply want to register the standalone SQL table without copying it to the server. I've tried registering the two tables that sit in another database on our SQL server through ArcGIS Server Manager, but it doesn't like the file path.

The tables can grow rather large, depending on daily work flows so I do not want to copy them to the GIS Server.

Does anyone have advice on registering standalone tables from another database?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Stephan:

Is your data sourced from a personal geodatabase?
0 Kudos
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
Hello Michael,

I realize you were responding to Stephan's original post, but I am having the same issue. My data is not in a personal geodatabase.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Are you registering the SDE connection file to your SQL Server database?

What is the file path you are trying to register?
0 Kudos
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
The tables I want to register are not on SDE, they are housed in another database on our SQL server.
Is that possible?
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
I only use SDE data from an Oracle database for my organization's AGS services.  I'm not sure if you can use non-SDE SQL Server tables in AGS.
0 Kudos
AngelynSnyder
New Contributor III
Thanks for the reply Michael. Looks like I will need to do some automation then to get the data copied into the proper format.
0 Kudos