Multiple Machine ArcGIS Server Site Extension Licensing

12-05-2013 07:39 AM
PaulBushore
Occasional Contributor
Hello,

I recently called ESRI Customer Support to talk to them regarding an issue we had on a previous deployment of ArcGIS For Server 10.2.

The scenario was that there would be two GIS Server machines and GISMACHINE1 would have no additional extensions enabled while GISMACHINE2 would have a couple other extensions licensed (3D for Server, Wokflow Manager whatever).  This was done primarily with the thought of decreasing overall costs as well as load balancing.  We created a GIS SITE on GISMACHINE1 and added GISMACHINE2 to the same site, in the same cluster.

We experienced errors and tried to move GISMACHINE2 to its own cluster but we still had errors when trying to send extension-specific requests to the site.

We ended up having to create two GIS Sites, one for each machine, and routed requests manually at the program level.

I contacted ESRI regarding this and they agreed with our findings:  All machines participating in the same GIS Site need to have the same extensions licensed in order for it to work correctly.

Has anyone had supporting experiences to this or different findings?  Would be appreciated to know either way.

Thanks!

-Paul Bushore
0 Kudos
1 Reply
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Yes, I have had similar findings.  For example, when utilizing the Image Server Extension of ArcGIS for Server I was required to re-authorize my server with a new license file that had a code for the image server product/extension.  I had to license the rest of my site's GIS servers in the exact same way in order to avoid errors showing up for users and in the AGS log.  I makes sense though... your ArcGIS for Server site, if it contains multiple servers, shares the cores across all of the machines.  This is part of the whole load-balancing concept.  Since ArcGIS for Server is licensed at the CPU core level, you would need all available cores to be licensed... not only on the machine you send the requests to but for all machines in the site.  Clustering within the site does not matter, it seems.
0 Kudos