Print service from ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 failing in Web AppBuiilder

11-14-2023 07:17 AM
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

Hello GIS friends,

Good morning! I'm having print issues again printing from Web AppBuilder. The print service is from ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1. A few months back when I first installed ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1, I had printing issues and Esri @TanuHoque helped me resolve the issue with a new patch from Esri. However, now without me doing anything we are having print issues again.

This time the error is:

Error executing tool. Export Web Map: ConvertWebMapToArcGISProject() takes from 1 to 4 positional arguments but 5 were given failed to execute (Export Web Map).

If anyone out there is getting the same error please I need help.

Our entire Entire Enterprise of 100 users are unable to print maps. Please let me know if you know how to get this to work.

Thank you,
Abi

0 Kudos
16 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@AbiDhakal as you know print service is powered by an arcpy script. It looks like somehow that script got modified and it is passing one additional parameter to the ConvertWebMapToArcGISProject() function.

please look at the script behind and see my note above helps.

Sorry for the inconvenience

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@TanuHoqueI'd like to understand how the script got modified. I haven't made any changes to the print service. What could be causing the script alteration?

Here's my suspicion: If you have ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 and then upgrade ArcGIS Pro from 3.1.0 to 3.2.0 on the the same GIS Server machine, and you had a print service from ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0, the upgrade to ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 seems to modify the script of the print service. This happens even it you don't overwrite the print service created with ArcGIS Pro 3.1.0. The mere installation of ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 on the ArcGIS Server machine appears to modify the script, based on your description.

Two days ago, when I first discovered the print service was not working I started troubleshooting. One of my initial steps was to create a new test print service. However, I encountered error 00256: "Server version <value> tool <value> does not have a new parameter." This error led me to uninstall ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 on the GIS Server machine and install ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3. Interestingly, even before I could create a test print service with ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3, the existing print service started working. I found this peculiar but considered it a one-time occurrence. During this time, everything was working smoothly, so I proceeded to upgrade ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 back to ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 on the GIS Server machine, and once again, the print service failed.

It's worth noting that I only installed ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0; I didn't overwrite the print service or make any other changes. It appears that the mere presence of ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 on a GIS Server machine with ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 installed modifies the print script and causes the problem. Uninstalling ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 and reinstalling ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 resolved the issue, and I still have an open Esri tech support case to monitor the behavior.

The concern is that having ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 on the same machine as ArcGIS Server with ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 seems to trigger the print service failure. Is this an expected behavior, where the mere presence of ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 on a single machine deployment with ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 will cause the print service to fail?

Thank you,
Abi

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@AbiDhakal 
at this point, it appears it is something that needs to be handled by Esri Support. I think I saw you opened an incident. If it turns out to be a bug, it will to our way and we will fix that as soon as we can.

thank for reporting this issue. 

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

@AbiDhakal was support able to help you? what was the solution?

0 Kudos
AbiDhakal

@ChelseaRozek@TanuHoque  At this time Esri is still performing tests. From the email I received yesterday from Esri, it appears like the print issue is reproducible when you have a print service from ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 on ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1.

The issue is; if you make a print service from ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 for ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 and then you install ArcGIS Pro 3.2 on that same machine as the ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 machine then the print service that you made from ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 for ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 will not work. the print service will error out.

Let me try saying this again: You cannot install ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and expect the print service you made from ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 for ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 to work. You have to uninstall ArcGIS Pro 3.2 and reinstall ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3 for the print service to work on ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1.

Thank you,
Abi

ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

@AbiDhakal Shoot, doesn't sound like my situation then. I only have ArcGIS Server 11.1 installed on the server as it's unfederated. There is no ArcGIS Pro installed. I just upgraded from 10.9.1 last night and now I'm having printing issues. I have a ticket in with ESRI but it hasn't been picked up yet.

0 Kudos
PLadd
by

@AbiDhakal amazing that you figured out that the failed print job on ArcGIS Enterprise may have been caused by upgrading APro to 3.2 - good catch. 

FWIW, I'm getting the same error message since upgrading APro to 3.2 on the server just a couple of days ago.  I am on Enterprise 10.9.1 so it's not isolated to 11.x.  I downgraded to APro to 2.9 and, while printing from a web appbuilder app now works, I can't open any of my APro projects that were saved at 3.2. . . .  🤔

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@PLadd unfortunately 3.0 is a breaking release that means project or layer file or anything that create in 3x can't be opened in 2x directly.

I think this is what you can do this though - have 3.2 install temporarily, open your projects you created in 3.2 before... share them out as project package. Uninstall 3.2, install 2.9 and open project packages.

Please note, this will allow you project open in 2.9 -- that said, if you used anything new in 3.x e.g. some new symbology that is only available in 3.x, you won't see them correctly in 2.9

hope this helps

0 Kudos
PLadd
by

Thanks @TanuHoque, your suggestion to create project packages enabled me to export to a targeted earlier version and it worked.  Appreciated!

0 Kudos