Problems create new site for ArcGIS Server 10.1 installation

10-11-2012 09:53 AM
EikoToguchi
New Contributor
I installed ArcGIS for Server 10.1 (uninstalled version 10 and installed) and tried to create new site after the installation with ArcGIS Server Manager that popped up.  I created primary site administrator account, specified root server directory and configuration store,  then clicked Finish button.  Error message was on Configuration Summary dialog box. "Failed to create the site.  Failed to create the folder 'System'.  Failed to clear REST cache onone or more server machines.  Please check the log for more details."  What is the cause of these problems and how do I solve these issues?
0 Kudos
21 Replies
RobertoRovelli
New Contributor
I tried all the solutions proposed in this and other threads, but I continue to have the message "Failed to create the service 'System/CachingTools.GPServer'".
Anyone have other ideas?
0 Kudos
RobertoRovelli
New Contributor
I did both things, but I continue to have the error...
I also completely stop the firewall and uninstall and reinstall ArcGIS, but nothing...
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
In these days esri releases sp1 so you can see if it resolve. If you are partner esri it is already avaliable on customer.
0 Kudos
RobertoRovelli
New Contributor
Thank you.
I will wait, hoping than SP1 can solve the problem.
0 Kudos
ThomasMontefusco
Occasional Contributor II
I have seen this simple solution work also.  Go to start, run, type cmd.  At command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns to flush the DNS cache.
0 Kudos
ThomasMontefusco
Occasional Contributor II
I have also seen this related to an authorization issue. Try the following:

1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the following folder: C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.1\sysgen

2. Rename the keycodes file.
3. Run the Software Authorization wizard using a 10.1 authorization number.

4. Open the new keycodes file (C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.1\sysgen\keycodes) that was created in the previous step and verify that all features include the version '101'. If the contents of the file are not version '101', contact your local Esri Customer Service to acquire the correct 10.1 authorization.

5. Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
6. Restart the ArcGIS Server service.
7. Open ArcGIS Server Manager and select Create New Site.
0 Kudos
PeterBuwembo
Esri Contributor
This error "Failed to create the site. Failed to create the folder 'System'. Failed to clear REST cache on one or more server machines. Please check the log for more details." is usually due to an underscore character in the hostname.

Please make sure that you change the hostname of the system and remove the underscore.
If the hostname had and underscore character before then check to make sure the following is corrected.

From C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts  make sure that the hostname in the host file has not underscore character.
That's if it's added. If so you can comment the hostname out or edit it to reflect the hostname with no "_"

-Stop ArcGIS server from the windows services
-Then from <ArcGIS for server installation directory>\ArcGIS\server\usr" remove the folder that has the hostname with the "_"
-Start ArcGIS server and you should be able to create the site with no errors.

Good luck
0 Kudos
EikoToguchi
New Contributor
Thank you Pete for your help.  Now the problem was solved.
0 Kudos
BobKilinski
New Contributor
Hello again,

I am still having problems because I cannot change the domain name (which is part of the hostname). We are beginning a massive project to change the domain name, but I cannot wait until this has been done (12 months maybe).

Is there a way I can trick the install NOT to use the FQDN of the server I am installing to?

I am going to keep trying things and will post any progress.
0 Kudos