Raster Data - Symbolize as Points at Cell Center

03-26-2014 04:50 PM
MikeGrogan
New Contributor
[Torn between posting in Desktop forum and Server forum ... but chose Server forum due to SLD discussion]

Is there a way to symbolize raster data as point features WITHOUT converting the raster to a point feature class first?  For extremely large rasters, having to convert first is terribly inefficient ... as you move from the very gridded / array data that makes rasters efficient in the first place.

To provide some context, say I have a multi-band raster dataset.  Band 1 is wind direction.  Band 2 is wind speed.  I would like to be able to symbolize with an arrow or vector at each raster grid center point (possibly filtering overlapping arrows) with color being determined from Band 2 (speed) and rotation being calculated from Band 1.  I then want to publish that symbology to ArcGIS Server.

Again, I would like to be able to do this directly from the raster in my symbology, without having to directly convert to points first?

Any hope for this?

GeoServer (which I have used quite a bit lately) provides such a capability on-the-fly in its Raster-to-Vector processing capabilities which can be specified from within an SLD utilizing a WPS.

Any chance of doing something like this from an SLD for a WMS published from ArcGIS Server? 

Possibly in concert with a geoprocessing service?

Sorry that I'm all over the road on my question.  Just trying to find something comparable to a rather elegant and unique GeoServer solution I am using.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMuller
Esri Contributor
Better support for multidimensional data like HDF, NetCDF, and GRIB is being worked on for the next release of ArcGIS.

This includes improved workflows for ingesting this data into Mosaic Datasets. It also includes a new type of renderer for raster data which can render the raster data as points (on the fly without conversion). The renderer is designed around workflows like you describe (Magnitude/Direction, UV, etc). The renderer can also resample on the fly so you get readable maps a differing scales.

Wind data is one of our test cases.

If you'd like to see it in action we will be demonstrating it at UC 2014.
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III

Any updates on supporting mutlidimension data formats with ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
MikeGrogan
New Contributor
Michael,

Is that targeted for release in 10.3?
0 Kudos