Running ArcGIS Enterprise on Nutanix

2 weeks ago
HeathAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Greetings,

Our GIS program has taken a much more prominante rolling in the city acting as the go-between from our CAMA system to our ERP system and with a VM licenses, server space and funds being at a premium our Network Admin has suggest moving to a Nutanix platform our our ArcGIS Architecture.  Has anyone had Experience running ArcGIS Enterprise on Nutanix?

Thoughts?

Option 1 (hybrid approach)

1.  On-prem Nutanix Node:

1. Server 1: Portal

2. Server 2: ArcGIS Server (dynamic content)

3. Server 3: ArcGIS Datastore

2. Cloud Space
    1. Server 4: ArcGIS Server (static content)

Option 2 (hybrid approach)

1. On-prem Nutanix Node:

2. Server 2: ArcGIS Server (dynamic content)

2. ArcGIS Online
    1. Publish Static Content

Option 3 (On-prem approach HA??)

1. On-prem Nutanix Node:

2. Server 2: ArcGIS Server (single robust server)

Thank you.

Cheers,

Heath

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewFarrar
Occasional Contributor

Heath, 

We switched our VM stack to Nutanix about two years ago now I believe. It's been a great system for us.  We have a multi-machine environment that makes up our ArcGIS Enterprise, and it all runs just fine on Nutanix.  We migrated everything from VMWARE.  I don't recall any specific hiccups related to the GIS architecture.  

Our setup is probably closest to your Option 2 there, albeit with a few more servers

0 Kudos
HeathAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the input.  In you Nutanix setup are.  Are you using Nutanix as a hybrid environment itself, i.e. Nutanix on-premises and Nutanix cloud env?  Or have you forgone the Nutanix cloud and opted for ArcGIS Online cloud? 

Sorry last question.  What kind of ROI or cost savings have you seen moving to Nutanix? 

Cheers,

Heath

0 Kudos
AndrewFarrar
Occasional Contributor

just Nutanix on-prem. With ArcGIS Online, we use that for all of our public facing stuff, and publish webmaps from our on-prem arcgis services through there. 

In terms of ROI, I don't have alot of info on that, but I know that nutanix has been significantly easier for our network team to manage vs. vmware. 

0 Kudos