Script tool works but Web tool not work

05-22-2023 03:58 AM
HNTZK46
New Contributor III

Hello community,

I published a python script tool onto my organisation's portal. However, the published web tool does not work that ended up with an error, saying "D:\***\***\out_workspace does not exist or is not supported". This error was returned when the script executed arcpy.management.CreateFileGDB(workspace, geodatabase_name).

The create file geodatabase function works fine in script tool but for some reasons, it does not accept the output workspace in web tool. 

Does anyone know the cause and how to deal with this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
EvelynHsu
New Contributor III

That workspace path needs to be accessible from the server where the web tool runs, not a path in your desktop environment, unless Pro and Server are installed on the same machine.

0 Kudos
HNTZK46
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply. How can I make the path be accessible from the server?

0 Kudos
EvelynHsu
New Contributor III

Usually by sharing the directory on the network, but it can get quite complicated, especially considering network, operating systems etc.

A more crucial question in this case will be, what exactly does the web tool do? Do you need the web tool to create a File GDB in the client environment? 

0 Kudos
HNTZK46
New Contributor III

Yes, I am thinking of preparing the FGDB in the client environment that contains the copies of some feature services.

The reason is that the feature services are quite large data, and there are many repetitions of selection process on these layers in the sequential process later. I may be wrong but I am thinking if I run such large process on these feature layers, it might make bad performance for other users who access to the same enterprise environment. That is why I am trying to create a local environment for the large processing. If I am wrong or any other better way, please feel free to point it out.

0 Kudos
EvelynHsu
New Contributor III

I'm not entirely clear about the whole picture of the workflow. Just some thoughts:

1. Must the tool be a web tool? From what was described, a local script tool would be sufficient to meet your needs, and it can work with a local file path. 

2. Consider downloading the data onto server for processing (i.e. the script tool will use a server path). Do the users need to access the output file gdb? If so, find a way to allow them to download e.g. by copying it to a shared network drive or uploading it to portal for users to download.

3. I sensed that the ultimate concern here is on service performance if such processes were carried out online. Have you maybe looked into optimizing service performance? That would address your root concern.

0 Kudos