Service publishing issues when reusing MXDs

06-05-2017 09:47 AM
CarolKraemer2
New Contributor

I want to understand better why we are having publishing issues when trying to reuse MXDs. The errors are not consistent, however, we seem to not get the errors at all when very precise steps are followed. I'd like to find a way to better stage publishing tasks for our team or, at the very least, have a better answer for why these errors are happening. Right now, my best answer is either just saying "999999" or "segmentation violation".

Software / Hardware:

• 3 GIS server environments - Dev, Test, Prod - in version 10.4.1 / Windows Server 2012 R2 (each environment is load balancing with 2 web adapters, 2 GIS servers, and 1 file share)
  • ArcGIS Desktop version 10.4.1 / Windows 10 and Windows 7
  • Windows authentication is used for logins

Process that works:

• New (or resaved with new name for republishing/updating service) MXD
  • Publish service (Dev parameters/capabilities/etc are set up from scratch and Test/Prod import the settings from Dev services)

We noticed that if we do not follow the steps above for each service, the follow errors MAY appear. These seem to occur with some projects more consistently than others.:

I attempted to use service definition (SD) files but abandoned because I couldn't tell if they were adding to the issues or not. It is my gut feeling that the issues stem more from the reuse of MXDs for republishing/updating. Can anyone confirm this?

With all the above said, if we are required to resave MXDs in order to avoid these errors, why does this happen? Is there anything we should be doing to prevent resaves as being a requirement for successful publishing?

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
0 Replies