Slow performance administering services in ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Server Manager 10.1

09-06-2012 02:54 PM
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

Recently we have been having issues with access the map services in ArcCatalog.  After trying to recreate the error on a test machine, we narrowed down part of it to having the Configuration Store set to a network drive as opposed to C:/.

Originally, we had set the configuration store to a network drive because "the location must be accessible to all machines that are registered to the site".

We shared the C:\arcgisserver\config-store across the network so that all machines could access it instead.

Since changing this setting, the response time is much much faster than it was before.  It used to take ~30 seconds to pull up the 'right click' menu in ArcCatalog, or view the services directory in ArcGIS Server Manager.

If anyone else is having similar issues, I hope this can help.

Any insight to why this would cause everything to slow down would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
StevenMenefee1
New Contributor II
I've also noticed that trying to access the 10.1 services via catalog or the new Server Manager that it is incredibly slow.  However, we are going to have a multiple machine setup, which means the config-store must be accessible to our other GIS Server machines...so I don't think making it a local path is an option for us is it??
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
I've been struggling with a multi-machine site for months... even with SP1 if I reduce the machines to 1, the services, both in Catalog and web REST endpoints retrieval are very fast.  As soon as I add 2+ machines to that site (all VM's of the same specs as machine 1) the performance of the services drops dramatically, to the point of being unusable in any way.   I'm attempting to configure a site that has 2 machines in one cluster for exposing map services to the public and one cluster with 5+ machines specifically for caching purposes.

From what I can tell, one of the big selling points of AGS 10.1 is scalability, flexibility.  I'd like to be able to pragmatically be able to move machines from one cluster to the other based on load, caching regimens, etc...  Can't do that if I have multiple sites.

Anyway, I sure hope 10.1 can iron this out.  If not, it seems that 10.1 is the new Windows Vista.  Please help prove that prediction wrong esri.
0 Kudos
JacobRaymond
New Contributor III
So we upgraded to SP1 and it made things worse.  It did speed up access via the ArcGIS Server Manager web interface, but it made accessing the service listing in ArcCatalog unbearably slow, even if the config-store is on a local drive.  I would not recommend upgrading to SP1 as this issue is not resolved, in fact it is much worse than before (at least for us it is).
0 Kudos
MuryadiOey
New Contributor III
I have similar issue about this slow performance. From my testing, the more I added servers into a cluster, the slower the server performance. I think ESRI need to fix the background process. Here is one of my test, if the cluster only one server, it took at least 15 sec to publish SD from Server Manager and it tooks at least 30 sec from ArcCatalog. Once I added another server (total 2 servers), the time was double or more. To publish SD from Server Manager, it took at least 30 sec and from ArcCatalog, it took at least 180 sec. When I added another server (total 3 servers), i took at least 60 sec to publish from Server Manager and more than 5 minutes from ArcCatalog.
I would like to see if ESRI can fix this issue as soon as possible by hot fix rather than waiting for SP2.

Thank you
0 Kudos
MuryadiOey
New Contributor III
Actually our issue was resolved. It was a firewall issue and we fixed that.

Neeraj

Can you share a little bit about causing by firewall?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
VernonWoods
New Contributor
We are also experiencing slowness when trying to right click on AGS services in ArcCatalog 10.1 via an administrative data connection.
We already have AGS SP1 installed which solved other problems but doesn't seem to help with this.
We tried moving our config store back (from a network drive) to a local drive of an AGS server (still referencing via a UNC since we have multiple servers in the site) but this didn't appear to help the slowness.

Our OS is Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

We have no firewall between our Desktop sessions and the AGS servers.

On point to note is that a user-connection via ArcCatalog 10.0 does not produce the slowness.  Unfortunately an admin-connection is not possible from ArcCatalog 10.0
0 Kudos
BrandonCales
New Contributor III
Anyone have any luck with this. My connection is really slow too. I don't want to mess with the firewall settings if I don't have to and am hoping there is another resolution. Is there any testing to figure out where the bottleneck is?
0 Kudos
GeraldLee__GISP
Occasional Contributor
just my 2 cents worth here. Dont know if this helps or not but my connection speed was absolutley unbearable. To the point that i uninstalled arcgis and reinstalled using local paths only. The speeds impoved to almost immediate connectivity. i tried every which way to use UNC server paths so i could use a multi site setup but my productivity went to zero. And service publishing was extremely long too before i went back to local....afterwards, publishing and connecting was a breeze..
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
There are two bugs logged for ArcGIS Server 10.1 in regards to the performance when listing/accessing services:

ArcCatalog: NIM086874
ArcGIS Server Manager: NIM085259

The cause of both bugs is the requests that are made to validate the services.  Currently, 10.1 SP1 resolved NIM085259 as there is one new admin tool to validate services.  ArcCatalog, however, calls for 4 requests to the service, which causes the delay you're seeing.  I don't know the timeline for a resolution, but that's the cause for the performance issue.  You can use Fiddler to watch these requests go through:

Fiddler:
http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/version.asp
0 Kudos
GeraldLee__GISP
Occasional Contributor
I appreciate the heads up. Thanks for that information !. Im glad to find out it was not me or my setup-- which is normally the cause.:).
0 Kudos