Slow performance administering services in ArcCatalog and ArcGIS Server Manager 10.1

09-06-2012 02:54 PM
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

Recently we have been having issues with access the map services in ArcCatalog.  After trying to recreate the error on a test machine, we narrowed down part of it to having the Configuration Store set to a network drive as opposed to C:/.

Originally, we had set the configuration store to a network drive because "the location must be accessible to all machines that are registered to the site".

We shared the C:\arcgisserver\config-store across the network so that all machines could access it instead.

Since changing this setting, the response time is much much faster than it was before.  It used to take ~30 seconds to pull up the 'right click' menu in ArcCatalog, or view the services directory in ArcGIS Server Manager.

If anyone else is having similar issues, I hope this can help.

Any insight to why this would cause everything to slow down would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
44 Replies
HusseinNasser
New Contributor III
My Setup is the following

2 Win2008R2 SP1 servers running ArcGIS Server 10.1 Service Pack 1(with Server Manager Login Patch, and Server Security Patch) , ArcFM Server 10.1, ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 SP1, Database is Oracle 11g with Direct Connect, Oracle Client both 32bit and 64bit are installed on the two servers.

I am having the same problem even after installing Service Pack 1

After installing these two patches for ArcGIS Server SP1 things were the same

http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/66/metaid/1946
http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/66/metaid/1930

Listing the Services takes forever, and comparing to 10 and 9.3 there is something kinky with the number of services running. I am certain I am the only one connected to the service yet the number of running services keep increasing exceeding the maximum number (from 2 to 7 or 😎 which brings the system to its knees. This is while I am having another machine to back it up as well. 

Performance wise, 9.3 was the best, 

not to point fingers I do have ArcFM Server Extension installed but it is a mere application that reads from the services, I doubt this is the problem.
0 Kudos
DanielLewis
New Contributor II
Has this problem (with UNC paths for config-store, etc., causing slow downs in server performance) been resolved?  If you're going to have multiple servers in a site, is there a way around having the config-store on a unc path?  We're at 10.1 SP1 and this issue still seems to be present.  I was surprised at how poorly it performs on some rather robust hardware (and just 10-15 published services).
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
NIM-086874, which addresses this problem, is resolved at 10.2.  The problem is that 4 separate requests go out to check on the status of the service, (you can verify this yourself using Fiddler.  Run the program, then connect to your ArcGIS Server connection).  At 10.2, only one call is made to check the status of all services, so it is much quicker.  Unfortunately, there's no workaround if you have a clustered environment.
0 Kudos
DanielLewis
New Contributor II
How does moving the config store back to the c drive fix the issue?  If you have more than one server, you still have to share the folder and access it using the unc path. What am I missing?
0 Kudos
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
How does moving the config store back to the c drive fix the issue?  If you have more than one server, you still have to share the folder and access it using the unc path. What am I missing?

You are right,  it only fixes the issue if you are running a site with one machine.  Otherwise we need to wait until 10.2 for the fix.
0 Kudos
DanielLewis
New Contributor II
You are right,  it only fixes the issue if you are running a site with one machine.  Otherwise we need to wait until 10.2 for the fix.

This is terrible.  If ESRI has a fix for this problem, they need to release it as a hotfix right now.  I've seen other posts in the forum about this very problem.  However, when you call tech support, it's like they've never heard of it (I've sent links to this thread and others to two different techs).  ESRI - this is supposed to be an enterprise level solution, fix this problem.  We should not have to wait for your show next month for the fix.  This needs to be addressed in a hotfix (along with the special characters in passwords issue and UNC path registration issues).  These are serious issues that make it almost impossible to deploy a redundant enterprise system.
0 Kudos
Matrix_Solutions_Inc_Geomatics
New Contributor III
This is terrible.  If ESRI has a fix for this problem, they need to release it as a hotfix right now.  I've seen other posts in the forum about this very problem.  However, when you call tech support, it's like they've never heard of it (I've sent links to this thread and others to two different techs).  ESRI - this is supposed to be an enterprise level solution, fix this problem.  We should not have to wait for your show next month for the fix.  This needs to be addressed in a hotfix (along with the special characters in passwords issue and UNC path registration issues).  These are serious issues that make it almost impossible to deploy a redundant enterprise system.

I Second this. It is unreasonable that we should have to wait for 10.2 to patch problems in 10.1.
0 Kudos
RasmusJensen
New Contributor II
I Second this. It is unreasonable that we should have to wait for 10.2 to patch problems in 10.1.

I agree. It is unacceptable that we have to wait for 10.2 in order to be able to use 10.1 SP1...... We had to put several projects on hold due to this issue. The server is running fine however - we are just unable to administer it!.

Rasmus
0 Kudos
RasmusJensen
New Contributor II
We are slowly getting closer to an operational system

After opening ports 4000-4004 on the application servers we have seen much better performance when using the server manager (In Chrome) and also somewhat better performance in ArcCatalog for Admin connections. Publishing can still take a long time. But the daily administration is much better. Now stopping of services only takes seconds as opposed to minutes.

Our setup is WebAdaptor - two application servers - one ArcSDE on MS SQL 2008. All servers run Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
AGS is 10.1 SP1 with no additional patches.

Br

Rasmus
0 Kudos
BrettElliot
New Contributor III
What makes you think we are going to adopt the latest release?

Our huge investment in ESRI infrastructure, and lack of alternatives, obviously.
0 Kudos