What is the latest version of ArcGIS Pro that will connect to a 10.6.1 SDE database?

11-28-2023 02:14 AM
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III

At work we have an 10.6.1 SDE database.

What is the latest version of ArcGIS Pro that can connect to this? Would ArcGIS Pro 3.2 work? I tried to look this information up but couldn't find anything online.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The answer isn't a straight forward Yes or No. As per Esri documentation (sharing SQL Server as example) :

Compatibility between ArcGIS clients and geodatabases in SQL Server

When your ArcGIS client and geodatabase versions do not match, your database release must be supported for both the ArcGIS and geodatabase versions. See the ArcGIS requirements for Microsoft SQL Server for the ArcGIS client version you want to use. Also ensure that the database client you install on the ArcGIS client machine is supported for your chosen ArcGIS and SQL Server versions.

So as per the below links:

ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 requirements for Microsoft SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.6.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.1 and 2.2

If your 10.6.x geodatabase has MS SQL Server 2017 or MS SQL Server 2016 at the backend, it will be supported, as ArcGIS Pro 3.2 supports those two versions as well. Any higher or lower version of SQL Server isn't supported by both together.

TimLangner

Thanks for your reply. The databases are on SQL Server 2017.

I  currently have ArcGIS Pro 2.9 installed and when I go to change a feature styling, the application keeps crashing.

So I was thinking of upgrading it to the latest version but needed to know if version 3.2 would support the database I need to access.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

As per the documentation, it should work, however like the link mentions:

You do not have to keep your geodatabase and ArcGIS clients at the same release, but it is recommended that you do so. Geodatabases and client software are designed to work together, and if you let one get too many releases away from the other, you risk encountering problems or unexpected behavior.

Also, make sure that you are using the supported ODBC driver to connect:

• SQL Server 2017
    • Microsoft ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server

Any particular reason why the geodatabase needs to be kept at 10.6.1?

TimLangner

I can't remember the precise reason why but the organisation has moved to StatMap, although there is still access to the older Geodatabase and some licences of ArcGIS around.

The idea being to use ESRI as little as possible as alternatives are cheaper. However, the alternatives can't do everything.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@TimLangner  - As long as you are running a supported SQL Server version for ArcGIS Pro 3.2 then you shall be able to connect to an older version of the ArcSDE Geodatabase like 10.6.1.

FAQ: What SQL Server Database Versions Are Supported by ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Pro? (esri.com)

ArcGIS 11.2 and ArcGIS Pro 3.2 requirements for Microsoft SQL Server—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentati...

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.8.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7—System...

Important Note:

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

"You do not have to keep your geodatabase and ArcGIS clients at the same release, but it is recommended that you do so. Geodatabases and client software are designed to work together, and if you let one get too many releases away from the other, you risk encountering problems or unexpected behavior."

"This is especially true when you use a mix of client versions at your site. A newer client can create newer dataset types in the geodatabase that older clients cannot access. For enterprise geodatabases, waiting too long between geodatabase upgrades may mean you have to upgrade the underlying database more than once before you can upgrade the geodatabase."

For more best practices.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

How Load Large Featureclass SQL Server Geodatabase
How to Move the SQL Server Enterprise Geodatabase with a database backup
How to Install Database Clients for ArcGIS
How to Install the SQL Server Client for ArcGIS?

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos