Option for Mobile editing first

07-07-2022 03:53 PM
NaomiBegg
Occasional Contributor

The majority of our map users are now viewing maps/apps from their mobiles rather than a desktop.

I love that in Experience Builder we have the option to customise the layout of the app to suit all devices.

HOWEVER I'd love to have the ability to design an app in its mobile state first, and then go backwards and configure it for the small handful of desktop users after having the mobile side done first.

The current workflow doesn't encourage this as you can't edit the mobile version unless you select custom, which means that the changes won't flow into the desktop version.  It would be great to be able to have the option to work backwards and forwards between all of the device types, choosing your focus first and having the other automatically build rather than the current forced focus on desktop.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Totally agree with this.  Almost every web app needs to be mobile-design first!

NaomiBegg

I've just tried to make a mobile first app this morning.  Its taken me 3x the time as I have had to pretty much build from scratch each view.  

Because the tablet and mobile view are portrait while the desktop view is landscape, it would make more sense for the tablet view to be auto created off the mobile view (or vise versa) rather than only off the desktop view.

GIS_Weasel

Yes. Came here to say this. Can't smash that like button enough times.

IMO the UI design philosophy in ExB has reverted to the way we worked in the early 2000s, which is to say, not ideal.

MattiasEkström

This is a much needed improvement.

If it's very complex underlying work then a minor improvement would at least be to be able to import or copy settings from medium screen devices to small screen devices or vice versa since they are both in portrait format and probably resemble each other more than either of them resemble the large screen mode.