Add Hosted Feature Layer to the Map Layer Widget

02-08-2024 11:02 AM
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

I'm new to using Experience Builder but I've been creating and publishing maps services for many years using ArcGIS Server and even as far back as ArcIMS.  I can't seem to understand why a hosted feature layer is not considered a "supported data type" for the map layer widget in Experience Builder.  Why are feature layers treated any different than a full map service with one or many layers (i.e. a Web Map)?  A hosted feature layer can be viewed in the Portal for ArcGIS Map Viewer and Classic Viewer.  Why can it not be used in a front end generated in Experience Builder?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FredericPoliart_EsriAU
Occasional Contributor II

Your question touches on the nuances of how different types of GIS data are managed and utilized across various ArcGIS platform components, including ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Experience Builder. The distinction between a hosted feature layer and a map service (or a Web Map), and their support in Experience Builder, primarily revolves around how these resources are designed to be used within the ArcGIS ecosystem. Let's break down the key points:

Hosted Feature Layers vs. Map Services

• Hosted Feature Layers are individual datasets stored in ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS that you can use to display, edit, and analyze spatial data. They are designed for flexibility and ease of use, allowing users to work directly with the individual layers of data.
  • Map Services (or Web Maps when considering ArcGIS Online/Portal for ArcGIS) consist of one or many layers, and they are published as a single service. They are designed to provide a comprehensive view of geographic information, including various layers, symbology, and potentially even metadata and other associated resources.

Integration in ArcGIS Experience Builder

• ArcGIS Experience Builder is designed to provide a flexible and intuitive way to create web applications and pages using data from ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS. It supports various data types, including Web Maps, Web Scenes, and individual hosted feature layers.
  • The perception that hosted feature layers are not supported as a "supported data type" in the map layer widget may stem from specific configurations, restrictions, or perhaps misunderstandings about how to add these layers to an Experience Builder project.

Why Might Hosted Feature Layers Seem Unsupported?

1. UI/UX Design: The process to add hosted feature layers might differ slightly from adding a Web Map, leading to confusion or the impression that they are not supported.
  2. Configuration Issues: There could be settings or configurations within your ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS environment that restrict certain types of data from being used in Experience Builder.
  3. Version Compatibility: Ensure that the version of Experience Builder you are using is compatible with the types of data you're trying to add. Experience Builder is regularly updated, and newer features or support for certain data types might require the latest version.
  4. Permissions and Access: The ability to use hosted feature layers in Experience Builder might also depend on the permissions set for those layers. If a layer is not shared properly, or if there are restrictions on who can view or use the layer, it might not appear as an option in Experience Builder.

Using Hosted Feature Layers in Experience Builder

• Direct Addition: You should be able to add hosted feature layers directly to your Experience Builder projects by selecting them from your available resources within ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.
  • Web Maps: Alternatively, incorporating your hosted feature layers into a Web Map and then adding that Web Map to Experience Builder might provide more flexibility in managing and displaying your data.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. Check Permissions: Ensure that the hosted feature layers are shared appropriately.
  2. Review Documentation: Look at the latest Experience Builder documentation to ensure that your approach to adding layers aligns with recommended practices.
  3. Update and Compatibility: Verify that you are using the latest version of Experience Builder and that your layers are compatible with this version.

If you continue to face challenges, consider reaching out to Esri Support for more detailed assistance, as there might be specific issues or configurations unique to your environment that are affecting the integration of hosted feature layers into Experience Builder.

0 Kudos
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

@FredericPoliart_EsriAU Thanks for the feedback.  In my case I think it might be a little of all that you mentioned.  I'm working on a disconnected network so our systems do not get updated as quickly as most.  The system that has the most recent version of ArcGIS Enterprise is at v11.1.  I'm mostly interested in leveraging an external Feature Layer service within Experience Builder.  When I add a connection to the service via URL connection in the "Add Data" component of Experience Builder it sees the service and exposes the layers within it.  The map widget doesn't recognize these layers as a supported data type.  So, what widgets within Experience Builder will allow me to add these feature layers as an overlay within the Map view, and toggle the layer visibility (similar to those that are added via web map)?  It seems counterintuitive to have to mask the feature service within a Web Map service.

0 Kudos