Basemap Widget in new Experience Builder displaying current map

06-23-2023 04:13 AM
DeirdreSmyth
New Contributor II

Hi There,

I am using the new basemap widget that became available in the latest release.  I have an experience builder site that uses a webmap for the main map with a overlying feature layer and a basemap.

I've selected a subset of basemaps that I wish to use from my organizational basemap gallery but the issue is the widget is displaying the selected basemaps and also the main webmap as an option in the basemap list.  The main webmap within the widget shows as a thumbnail of the overlying layer but it is labelled as the basemap which is confusing and incorrect!

I have not specifically added the main map to the basemaps list it seems to add it in itself, is there a way to remove it, or rename it so it at least has the correct name?

Dee

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@DeirdreSmyth , thanks for letting us know. We will take a look.

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@DeirdreSmyth This is the designed behavior of the Basemap Gallery widget, to allow users to switch back to the original basemap if needed. There is no way to remove it.

However, if you want to rename it, I believe it can be modified in the org/group basemap settings if you are using a designated one.

0 Kudos
DeirdreSmyth
New Contributor II

@TonghuiMing, I understand the need to allow users to switch back to the original basemap of the map but the thumbnail is that of the overlying layer so it is incorrect in the basemap widget:

DeirdreSmyth_0-1687775872820.png

Here I've switched off the overlying layer, you can see the basemap is called Standard Basemap and it is displayed in the main map.  In the basemap widget the Standard Basemap thumbnail is that of the overlying layer and not the Standard basemap.

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@DeirdreSmyth I believe what you have come across is this case - when the basemap itself does not contain a thumbnail, we will retrieve a substitute from the map widget, which I believe when created has the overlaying layer.

0 Kudos
DeirdreSmyth
New Contributor II

The basemap has a thumbnail @TonghuiMing, I've added the main map basemap to the app separately and it has the correct thumbnail.  

If would be useful to be able to exclude this and not have it added by default if at all possible.

TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

I see. We will keep a note of this and evaluate the enhancement possibilities. Thanks for bringing this up.

WorcesterGTSS
New Contributor III

I believe I'm experiencing a similar issue - when I use the Basemap picker included in the Map widget, there is a duplicate basemap listed for the default basemap I am using for the app web map. (We have a custom Basemap group for our organization that we're using for the basemaps.) The issue is avoidable in the standalone Basemap widget by unchecking the basemap in question so that it only appears once. However, it would be nice to be able to use the basemap picker in the Map widget and not experience this issue.

0 Kudos