Edit Null/Missing Geometry

10-24-2023 10:43 AM
RyanCoodey
Occasional Contributor III

We have a use case where we want to allow users to set geometries on features which are missing them. The records are already existing and can be selected from a table or list view. But from what I can tell the Edit widget can only either insert new records or update existing geometries. Not seeing how to place the geometry for an existing record when it is missing.

Hoping maybe I am missing something and if not, maybe someone has ideas for a workaround? Or an easy means to extend the current Edit Widget?

Thank you for any thoughts or ideas!

2 Replies
DevonReed
New Contributor II

how we do this (and this is not necessarily ideal) is that we edit the coordinates into a related table and then an overnight update process runs to put the geometry in the main layer. 

RyanCoodey
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for sharing @DevonReed. I like the idea and will stew on it. We need the coordinates a bit more real-time though so would have to batch process more often. Or potentially could wire up a trigger in the database for any updates which could update the geometry.

My original though was to build a widget that could be an icon in the list view, when clicked it would switch to an edit cursor to choose a location and on map click would call the update feature service with the coordinate geometry. Have done similar in WAB but pretty new to ExB development.

You got my wheels turning now, thank you!

0 Kudos