Experience Builder Near Me Widget - not working with Group Layer Items

12-08-2023 09:21 AM
PaulDoherty2
Occasional Contributor III

Real-world Problem: To stay organized and consistent across web maps, we want to take advantage of the new Group Layer items to keep our most essential reference layers together and use the layers of these Group Layer Items for impact analysis.

What are Group Layer Items?

Blog: Group Layer Items: A new way to build and share content (esri.com)

Doc: Organize layers (Map Viewer)—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

Example: a35825 - Minimum Essential Dataset (MED) Base Data for US&R - Overview (arcgis.com)

Technical Problem: Group Layer Items cannot be accessed by the NearMe Widget in Experience Builder (ArcGIS Online).

In this web map, the Incident Data group were made in the web map but not saved as items. The "MED" Groups for Live Feeds and Base Data highlighted below are Group Layer Items added to the web map.

Copy of Web Map with Group Layer Item retained: COPY OF ace40c Sandbox v9 Intel Manager 2.0 Web Map (arcgis.com)

Original Web Map that I will ungroup the item to fix (hopefully):  https://www.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=79bb4e40e36b4423b3db81a7adace40c

PaulDoherty2_0-1702055928496.png

Experience Builder NearMe configuration, note the layer groups made in the web map (but not saved as items) load and are accessible, but the Group Layer Items highlighted above do not show up here.

PaulDoherty2_1-1702055928498.png

5 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @PaulDoherty2 ,

The Group Layer item type is not yet supported as a data source in Experience Builder but is on the roadmap. We'll keep you posted with any updates.

0 Kudos
PaulDoherty2

Workaround for now: 

Ungroup the item in the web map 

PaulDoherty2_0-1702057284449.png

This allows the layers (or groups within) to be accessed by the widget. 

PaulDoherty2_2-1702057404985.png

This not ideal because now I broke the connection between the group item and this web map, but should buy us some time until Group Items are fully supported. 

Thank you @AlixVezina 

0 Kudos
PaulDoherty2

WARNING: If you try to "regroup" these layers, they disappear from the configuration and essentially blow up the widget, so don't do that. 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I have grouped layers in my Utility Locator ExB. I simply open the group dropdown from the widget config and add the layers I want to return from the search.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@DavidColey You're correct, it looks like there is a bug with Near Me specifically. We're looking into it. Thank you!