Experience Builder Slow Map Layers Widget

09-15-2021 08:29 AM
HeatherBell
Occasional Contributor

We've been building a web app in experience builder. The first page is a map with a sidebar with the map layers widget. When previewing the app, the map loads okay (5-10 seconds), but the map layers widget can take up to a minute to load. I've tried to optimise it by switching off all the layers, and saving the web map using the new map viewer. However, it hasn't sped up the load time. Has anyone found a way to speed up the load time? There are approximately 100 layers in the map but they are all switched off. See the attached image. Thank you, Heather. 

GIS Analyst @ The Rivers Trust
28 Replies
T_R
by
New Contributor II

Wild, thank you for the reply, this is something I would have never considered!

0 Kudos
DustinEdge_Boroondara
New Contributor III

Was it a specific resolution or the display scaling? And what was the resolution that worked?

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters
Occasional Contributor III

It wasn’t a specific resolution. All I had to do was tell people that were impacted to make the browser window just a little smaller. But, the ultimate fix for us was to change out the embedded web map for an embedded Experience. It gave us some additional functionality users wanted and solved  the ‘flashing widget’ problem.

0 Kudos
DustinEdge_Boroondara
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick reply Ashley.

I dont fully understand "change the embedded webmap for an embedded Experience" comment though. What did you for the webmap that ExB needs?

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters

The issue we were having was related to a web map we had embedded in the ExB. Something about the screen resolution would not allow the layer or base map widgets to properly open on some computers. Once users wanted some additional functionality, we took that same web map and put it into its own ExB. Our final product had an ExB embedded in an ExB and the map worked the way it should.

DustinEdge_Boroondara
New Contributor III

whoa....an ExB in an ExB. The next GIS person to take over would be thoroughly confused lol

Thanks for sharing

0 Kudos
DustinEdge_Boroondara
New Contributor III

With ExB embedded in an ExB; is the containing ExB just an empty shell with an embed? Or did you do something else?

I'm still having trouble getting it to load in a respectable timeframe. Our onprem solution is "instant" and I know users will not take kindly to a 10 second delay. That would definitely put Portal in the bad books for my users.

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters

The containing ExB has multiple pages, with each page holding a Survey123 and the other ExB. It can take a bit for the embedded survey and ExB to load, but it is due to the size of each, so I'm okay with it. This may not be the solution for everyone, but it got past my biggest issue which was the misbehaving widgets in the web map.

0 Kudos
AshleyPeters

You and me both. I didn't consider it until I thought to use the browser's dev tools to see if an error was being produced. Everything worked normally then. That's when I considered screen resolution and that one fix solved the issue on three browsers.

0 Kudos