Filter Widget not filtering Map (Again?)

10-04-2023 09:21 AM
Labels (1)
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
Occasional Contributor

I've built an experience and the Map is no longer filtering when a Filter is applied.  I initially built the Experience a month or so ago and the Map was filtered properly at that point, but I've recently made some substantive changes and perhaps messed up a setting in doing so.  Or maybe this recurring problem (based on previous question posts) is back?  The filters work on the List, but not the Map. 

I'm basing this experience on one provided in ESRI's sample gallery and as far as I can see my settings are essentially identical to that one, which works.  So I'm stumped.  And this is kind of critical functionality for this Experience.

Here's my experience:
  Bike Event & Resources Map (arcgis.com)

Thank you!
Sean 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Your map would not load for me. You likely need to change the sharing level on your webmap to Public.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
Occasional Contributor

Sorry about that.  Should be fixed now.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/latest/configure-widgets/action-triggers.htm

Try messing about with the triggers. Working with triggers can get pretty confusing and it's not always clear which one will get the job done. The one you need is probably List widget > Record Selection Changes > Framework. 

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, unfortuantely I've tried every conceivable permutation of the available options for an Actions in both the List Widget and Filter Widget as well as the Map Widget.  It just seems like the 'link' between the Map and the List / Filter widgets is not functioning like it should be - Filter works on the list but not on the map, with or without the List being used as an intermediary  / pass-through widget.

One thing I did note that was different between my experience and the one I am using a guide is that in their Experience there is List Widget configuration under the Selected state.  Maybe that's the problem?  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to build anything under the Selected State on mine.  I do have considerably less changes apply when a List item is selected (just an outline added) than theirs.

Guide Experience:

sgambrel_Bouldercounty_0-1696517710901.png

My Experience:

sgambrel_Bouldercounty_1-1696517860974.png

Thank you again for the help.
Sean

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

I didn't know about these options until you just asked. Setting the options for Selected State allows you to display list items differently depending on if the item is unselected, selected or if the user is hovering over it. It could be very useful to make a design like 'only show the item name if it is not selected, but show a picture and full description if the user is hovering or has selected it'. This won't fix your original problem, but here's how to do it.

In List widget, settings panel hit selected or hover

JeffreyThompson2_0-1696519511836.png

Then Custom and accept warning

JeffreyThompson2_1-1696519609153.png

Redesign your list as desired. Switch between states with buttons on side of list.

JeffreyThompson2_2-1696519701525.png

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
sgambrel_Bouldercounty
Occasional Contributor

Interesting.  I have enabled selection, which is how I was able to get selected list item to highlight, but did not create a custom layout.  I assume that's the extra content under the Selected State...

No other thoughts on the Filter / List Actions with the Map?  Do you know where else I might find help with this?  I've been over and over and over the documentatino and unfortunately paid tech support isn't an option.

Thanks again!  

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Once you have enabled the custom layout option, you can go to your list and modify it as you see fit and that modified version will appear in the state it is set in.

You are using one of ESRI's templates, right? ESRI templates usually have multiple copies of the same widget that are used for different screen sizes. Is there any chance that the actions are being directed at a widget in the pending list rather than the active display?

This could be painful, but you could try starting over or at least deleting widgets and re-adding them. The old-turn-it-off-and-back-on-again trick is a classic for a reason.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos