How do I deactivate the Edit Feature function after I make an edit in Web Experience Builder?

02-07-2024 04:58 PM
CPaulman
New Contributor II

Hi - 

My users are drawing polygons in the map in Web Experience Builder. We have noticed that once they make an edit to the feature geometry, they cannot deactivate the edit "mode".

Workflow:

In a Web Experience Builder App with a polygon feature class (attributes and geometry editable) in the web map, 

1) Click on the Edit Widget

2) Highlight Select under Edit Features

3) Click on a polygon feature and edit the geometry

4) Click "Update"

5) Click Back in the Edit Feature widget "<"

6) Clear the highlighted feature (clear selection in map frame)

7) Close the Edit Widget

😎 Click on another polygon in that editable hosted feature layer. 

*****AHHHHH!!!!***** 

This is where I would expect the popup window to open and the feature to highlight. 

***Instead, I get the orange box around the feature. And I can move or edit it! This is not what I want.***

I would appreciate any help: How do I deactivate the "Edit Mode" so that my users can go about viewing popups without fear of moving their polygons around?

7 Replies
NBC
by
New Contributor III

Unfortunately we are experiencing the exact same issue as you describe.  

It would be great if this could get fixed...and whilst at it add the split/merge functionalities similar to the WAB version. 

CPaulman
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply @NBC !

Good to know I am not the only one. 

0 Kudos
CPaulman
New Contributor II

@Jianxia - should we submit this as a bug or enhancement request? 

I am curious if it was working correctly and then changed. 

Thanks, Candace 🙂

0 Kudos
WillyG
by
New Contributor III

@CPaulman Some of our clients are expressing that they do not like how the edit widget auto enables and you can easily edit geometry nodes. one work around is to create a duplicate layer in your Webmap that is un-editable and have the filter widget enable the editable layer.  Not ideal.  I think it would be better if there was an additional toggle 'Enable geometry edits'  within the edit widget for the user to turn on and and have that off by default.  Worth sending as an enhancement request for sure.

0 Kudos
StuartMoore
Occasional Contributor III

we have the same issues, also if you have a filter on a layer that your editing and the filter's job is to hide the feature after a field has been populated the edit widget just spins after you update

0 Kudos
lah
by
New Contributor III

Also experiencing this in Enterprise 11.1. If you activate editing and then exit editing, but try to click and identify features, it still leaves the geometry editable and is super easy to accidentally resize and move things around. This is extremely clunky and confusing for users and leaves Experience Builder completely un-usable for us at this time.

AlexGeller
New Contributor

We are experiencing the exact same frustrations.  However, for us it may be worse, as we are using an extensive amount of arcade to calculate field values.  By using the widget controller we can start the session with "edit mode" off and the user can just click around, selecting features with no editing happening. But once they open the edit widget via the widget controller, "edit mode" is on for the rest of the session no matter what you do. So, if the user edits one feature, then every other feature that they select will open in the editor, all arcade calcs run, and not only are they looking at the geometry nodes on the map but because arcade has run, the edit widget is now prompting the user to save or discard edits, even though they didn't change anything.  Additionally, because arcade is running, the performance is very bad.

This really needs to change for this to be a viable alternative to WAB. Field maps, for example allows the user to select a feature, and then gives the user the ability to edit that specific feature or not. I wish EB had the same concept.

0 Kudos