Launch a webmap directly into user configured EB template (AGOL)

02-16-2024 03:28 AM
Labels (1)
TimF
by
New Contributor III

Hello,

I can't see a similar post on this so just wondering (if anyone else is wondering) why it doesn't seem to be possible to launch a webmap directly into an EB template I've created, on ArcGIS Online?

The webmap has the following app options:

TimF_0-1708081801036.png

Selecting Experience Builder from this drop-down list takes me to a page with a header that only allows me to select ESRI created templates. There are no other options available:

TimF_1-1708081853154.png

However, if I exit the above and instead head straight to https://experience.arcgis.com/  - I see the following header where I can select from my own generated templates and then add the webmap afterwards:

TimF_4-1708082139505.png

(and if I select 'Experiences' and 'Create New' then I also see the ESRI templates)

Is this a hassle? Not really... but it does seem to catch me out everytime! It just seems bit odd that the 'short-cut' to create an EB app straight from the webmap is missing the thing I'm likely to short-cut that map into. So I invariable take this meandering route each time... but maybe that's just me!

Also, side question: what is the difference between an Instant App and a Configurable App? I didn't notice that last one until this screenshot, and now am less clear on the various builders since the start of this post!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@TimF - with regard to your side question about the difference between an Instant App and a Configurable app, this ArcGIS Online community post does a good job of answering that one.   

"Basically "Instant Apps" is the rebranded product name for "Configurable Apps" which is a collection of focused apps - this means typically they would only support 1-3 workflows. Apps built with ArcGIS Web AppBuilder typically offered more configuration options and functionality."

The other question about launching Experience Builder from a web map items details page like say ArcGIS Web AppBuilder, I wonder if the Q4 2024 Roadmap Ahead item for WAB mode (a simple builder like WAB) will incorporate this workflow?

TimF
by
New Contributor III

Hi @Robert_LeClair  - thanks for the response! Agreed, that post covered that side query perfectly, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction there. Everything (well, almost...) makes sense again!

RE WAB mode - perhaps that will be it, e.g., those confident with EB can only build the custom templates via the EB domain; but when published, they can be picked up at the webmap stage and configured using a WAB-like wizard. I guess all will come clear in time!

0 Kudos
DanJiang
Esri Contributor

Hi @TimF , 

As ExB supports multiple pages and multiple map widgets in one template / app, it is hard to decide whether the custom templates contain a map widget or which map widget should be used to display the web map. What if the map widget in your template has already been configured with a web map? So we only support certain OOTB templates for the web map entrance. To use your own templates, entering experience builder first is recommended. 

0 Kudos