Print Widget Timeout

03-18-2024 11:09 AM
RachappaBellappa1
New Contributor III

Hi

We are using the print widget which points to custom print service. From App the print service is getting timeout after 1min. When we see the output folder for the print job the files are getting generated after 1min, So 2question

a) how to increase timeout on Print Widget in Exp Builder

b) Why it's taking more than a min to print the data

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Grant-S-Carroll
Esri Contributor

Hi there, the print runs on your ArcGiS Server as you have indicated.

This is most likely where the time out is occuring. The default setting for custom GP tools is 600 sec, which is 10 minutes. I would check these settings in the first instance.

GrantSCarroll_0-1710789689080.png

Are you running the service as synchronus or asynchronus? It may pay to change the service type to async if your are experiencing timeout issues, this will then stop the browser blocking the UI. Which could be another reason you are receiving timeouts.

GrantSCarroll_1-1710790309960.png

As to why your print is taking a long time, I would check the logs to see if there are any errors being generated from the custom print service. The other questions to ask are :

How much information are you trying to print, eg how many layers, at what scale are you trying to print, what is the size of the print layout.

Does the ArcGIS Server have access to all of the required layers that are trying to be printed? 

Again, I would be looking at the logs in the first instance to see what information is there as that should show you any issues or errors being generated off your custom service. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
RachappaBellappa1
New Contributor III

Thanks @Grant-S-Carroll Forgot to mention I did increase the timeout in ArcGIS Manager but it didn't make any change. Default print service is also taking time and i am able to see the print result in the AGS output folder but in the App it timeout so i am thinking print widget has some 1min timeout that's been set we =need to overwrite that 

0 Kudos
Grant-S-Carroll
Esri Contributor

I would then check if the service is running Async or synchrononus. If its running synchronously, then I would switch it to async.

If you run the service in sync mode, then the widget will be sitting waiting for a response, it will time out because its a bad user experience to block the UI while waiting for a service to load or return. If you run the service async, then the widget should start polling for updates and then return the print when its finished.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a large amount of data that is going to the print service?

Can you try zooming in very tight and turning off most complex visible layers and see if print service still has a time-out error?

0 Kudos