still can't replace WAB near me with EB near me

Jump to solution
11-01-2023 03:05 PM
johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there - 

I still can't replace my WAB app with an EB app.  I have what seems like a very basic workflow.  The user types a street address into a search widget using world locator. When the user selects a candidate from the search widget, the map highlights and zooms to the extent of the polygon in a specified polygon layer that contains the address location, displays popup (complex w/arcade) for selected polygon, along with the address location marker on the map. 

This can be accomplished using the instant app zone locator, and also Web AppBuilder near me widget. 

But for the life of me I cannot get that to work in Experience Builder. It is very challenging to force migration to EB when EB can't do the same things as WAB w/o massive programming of custom EB widgets. 

Any tips for how to configure EB to accomplish a basic zone locator like you can do with WAB, out of the box, would be greatly appreciated!  I hope I am just missing something simple. 

For example, how to accomplish this simple WAB app in EB

Thx,

JB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah, there isn't an option to zoom to the extent of a polygon in OOTB Experience Builder. You can set the zoom scale to custom and specify a scale ratio, but if your polygons are not all a similar size that may not work for you.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

As of the latest ArcGIS Online update, this workflow is 100% possible in the Online version of Experience Builder and will be coming soon to Developer Edition.

1. Use the Search widget (rather than the search built into the map widget).
  2. Set the Search Source to World Geocoding Service.
  3. Your polygons will need to contain data matching the World Geocoding Service, like the default address or X and Y.
  4. Add a Message Data Action > Framework > Select Data Records and match the output of the geocoder to the data in the polygon.
  5. Add a Map > Zoom To Action to the same trigger.
  6. In the Map widget, scroll all the way to the bottom of the Content panel and select Show Popup on Feature Selection.
  7. Open up the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer and build your popup. You will have full access to Arcade and the settings will carry over into Experience Builder.
GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
johnbrosowsky

Hi Jeff, thanks for the idea!

However, I am not following step 3.  There are many thousands of possible world geocoding service addresses within a single polygon.  

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

JeffreyThompson2_0-1698930067028.pngJeffreyThompson2_1-1698930088211.png

JeffreyThompson2_2-1698930117008.png

JeffreyThompson2_3-1698930140702.pngJeffreyThompson2_4-1698930163277.png

JeffreyThompson2_5-1698930190924.png

JeffreyThompson2_6-1698930209234.png

JeffreyThompson2_7-1698930230687.png

JeffreyThompson2_8-1698930254228.png

JeffreyThompson2_9-1698930274563.png

Here are the possible return fields for the World Geocoding Service. Your polygons will need data matching the return value of one of these fields to properly select the polygon.

You can also set the Search widget to a Layer source and search the feature layer directly.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
johnbrosowsky

It's impossible to attribute the polygon features with all possible geocode results inside each polygon, and polygons may intersect many address feature zonal elements like postal code. So there is nothing to reliably match on, other than intersecting geometry of the address feature with the polygon features, which does not appear to be possible in EB. 

For example, how to accomplish this WAB example in EB?

WAB near me widget has a setting called "Return intersecting polygon(s)" that is not available in EB.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Your polygons in that example are counties so you could match the county field in the Geocoding service to the county name in the polygon layer.

It is also possible since the last update to set the search output location to be an input to the Near Me widget. There are additional possible workflows with this feature.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
johnbrosowsky

Unfortunately, that just will not work for my case.  I used a county boundary layer in my quick example here as it was quick to find.  My actual polygons are service areas that don't necessarily follow county boundaries or any other zonal attributes of the world geocoder service. 

Even if counties sort of worked for me, that would introduce a strange new data management requirement and I would have ensure county names in my polygon data are exactly the same as coming out of the world geocoder service, not to mention boroughs and parishes, and some service areas I have extending into Canada or Mexico. 

I have tried setting search output location as input to Near Me and can get the polygon to select, but not zoom to extent of polygon.  The map zooms to the search feature (i.e. the address point).

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Yeah, there isn't an option to zoom to the extent of a polygon in OOTB Experience Builder. You can set the zoom scale to custom and specify a scale ratio, but if your polygons are not all a similar size that may not work for you.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
johnbrosowsky

Okey dokes, looks like I am out of luck and stuck with WAB for now.  Also custom zoom scale does not work in this scenario either - it works on search but the near me widget seems to then take over and zooms in super close the ground so all I see is the address point, and no other features, not even any streets.  Just a blank map with a single dot on it. 

I hope in the future Esri adds the "Return intersecting polygon" feature from WAB near me into EB near me. 

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are able to go Developer Edition, I have modified the Search widget to something very similar to your desired outcome. It's not super difficult. It just took some time to figure out where to make my modifications. Add your function to the result-list.tsx in the onSelectRecord function and you should be able to build out what you need.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas