AGX Desktop WMS issues

10-06-2011 06:31 AM
GarethEvans
New Contributor
I have a WMS service. http://geoserver.ecsecc.org/geoserver/wms? ArcGIS Online seems to handle it well. It gives me the layers and allows me to tick them on and off. In desktop, however it reads the service and shows me the layers that I can add, but whatever layer I add, it brings them all in together and doesn't give any layer control to tick layers on or off (only the one layer tick which just switches the layer group on or off. A little consistency in managing WMS would be great through AGX online, desktop and the sharepoint plug in which also has an issue with WMS. It appears to load the service, gets the correct bounding box but displays no data. This was the same issue in AGX online until a couple of weeks back, but AGX online is fixed now.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Does your table of contents look like this?

Using ArcGIS Explorer 1750, you should be able to toggle the sublayers for your service in the table of contents.

Mark
0 Kudos
GarethEvans
New Contributor
Yes it does IF: I add the whole service by clicking on the "GeoServer Web Map Service" in the "Add GIS Service" dialogue. So that does help me BUT:
What is not very intuitive is the fact that in the "Add GIS Service" dialogue you can see the components of the service and even add them individually. Unfortunately what you then get is all the layers in the service but NOT the tick boxes to control their visibility, so you always only see the top layer despite whatever component you added, and you can either see the whole service on or off, but not control the component visibility. This is what I did and why I had a problem. I think this is definitely a useability improvement that could be made - Either allow adding of components with correct capability or disallow.
0 Kudos
ScottHammonds
New Contributor
Has there been any resolution or work around to this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem using a fairly large WMS service that only supports one layer for each request. The current flow has me load the entire list of layers and manually uncheck all the layers I do not want in the request to the server. Please help!

Thanks,
Scott
0 Kudos