ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
SteveVidal
New Contributor II
Hi,

Is there an estimate for a release date (week, month, season...) for ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2012 final?

When do you expect public release?

Same here!

The last announcement was for an August release but it's now September... Any chance of a new announcement?
0 Kudos
JaromHlebasko
Occasional Contributor III
Thank you very much for your reply. I can now see my maps through the search button as you have mentioned

As mentioned before, I can see my ArcGIS Online maps that I have created; however, I cannot see any of my data when opening them. Most of my maps are a feature service right now. Does ArcGIS Explorer handle feature services yet?

Thank you,
Jarom
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
I have an inquiry regarding the add GIS service on ArcGIS Explorer. How do I connect my citrix server database to be utilized in ArcGIS Explorer? I have tried using this URL (http://citrix/Citrix/XenApp/site/default.aspx?NFuse_CurrentFolder=%5cDesktop%20GIS), but it fails to connect. I pray to the GIS gods that I can eventually link the server to this awesome piece of software.
Hans
Geo-Spatial Analyst
OSHPD

Hans,

ArcGIS Explorer connects to ArcGIS, ArcIMS, WMS and GeoRss services.  I am not sure what you are referring to in regards to "citrix server database"

ArcGIS Explorer can be run within a citrix environment, but I am not familiar with connecting to a citrix server.

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello:

Is there an estimate for a release date (week,  month, season...) for ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2012 final?

Will there be another beta release? I cannot find any way to get "About..." info in the UI, to get the build number. I'm probably missing it. The executable I have says 2.0.0.1995. Is there a more recent beta?

And, for a follow up, is there any official or semi-official statement about this product's future development, in light of the upcoming (at some point) release of the ArcGIS "Viewer" for Windows?

Thanks,

Harry

We have beem implementing some User Conference bug fix and enhancement requests that have caused us to miss our intended August release window.  We have also been looking ArcGIS 10.1 service pack 1 work and moving applicable enhancements into ArcGIS Explorer as well. One of the significant items is support for Publick Key Infrastructure. That work is still on-going and a few weeks from being complete.

We are not planning another beta release.  The next release will be the official ArcGIS Explorer 2012 release.

The ArcGIS Viewer for windows is a Multi-screen (window) dashboard mapping application.  It is a compliment to the ArcGIS system, not a replacement for ArcGIS Explorer.

Longer term ArcGIS Explorer continues to be developed.  Post ArcGIS Explorer 2012 we will be working to address issues with map display and performance by using a new 2D and 3D display architecture.  The first of many releases on the new display will be in 2013.

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
As mentioned before, I can see my ArcGIS Online maps that I have created; however, I cannot see any of my data when opening them. Most of my maps are a feature service right now. Does ArcGIS Explorer handle feature services yet?

Thank you,
Jarom

ArcGIS Explorer 2012 and prior will not support feature services.  Feature services will be supported in the 2013 releases.

mark
0 Kudos
Sri_VarunMuthyala
New Contributor II
I have 2 issues to report

1) Test result : ArcGIS explorer crashes as soon as I change locators under Manage locators

Steps

1. Open ArcGIS explorer from Start > programs

2. click on ArcGIS explorer button

3. Now Select ArcGIS explorer options

4. Select resources

5. click on locators button

6. Now I have added my custom locator file. Click on Add

7. The file that I have added is displayed in the list of locator files

8. Now when I select the new locator and click on activate arcexplorer crashes

2) Test Results: Validate services does not recognize geocoding and network service

Steps

1. Goto Start>programs> ArcGIS explorer> Application configuration manager

2. Click on Modify

3. Select custom resources

4. On the right panel scroll downa dn select Choose services under custom services

5. I specified our internally created geocoding and routing service in URL

6. When I click validate services I see a red mark

Even though these services are available somehow arcGIS explorer is not validating it. How do i configure any webservices that are develop by our organization?
0 Kudos
RichardDaniels
Esri is phasing out the complimentary use of Bing Maps in its ArcGIS products.  The final version of ArcGIS Explorer 2012 as well as other Esri products will be "Bing Ready", which will allow you to input a Bing Maps key that you obtain directly from Microsoft.  After you input the key you will be able to use Bing maps as you did previously.

Mark

No Bing Maps in its ArcGIS? Sounds like a bad mistake, unless then plan to replace it with Google Maps.

rich
0 Kudos
Bart-JanSchoenmakers
New Contributor III
I just installed ArcGIs explorer 2012 Betá on one of my computers, which had an ArcGIS explorer 1750 installation.

We are not using ArcGIS Explorer yet, because of the limitations\configuration of our proxy server (according to the local ESRI branch). ArcGIS explorer crashes when accessing online data.

I was hoping this problem might be solved in the 2012 version, however when initiating the new version after showing the initial screen ArcGIS explorer crashes withou any message.

Cheers,
Bart
0 Kudos
AndreiIvanov
New Contributor III
I just installed ArcGIs explorer 2012 Betá on one of my computers, which had an ArcGIS explorer 1750 installation.

We are not using ArcGIS Explorer yet, because of the limitations\configuration of our proxy server (according to the local ESRI branch). ArcGIS explorer crashes when accessing online data.

I was hoping this problem might be solved in the 2012 version, however when initiating the new version after showing the initial screen ArcGIS explorer crashes withou any message.

Cheers,
Bart

Can you share crash dump?
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Beta will not install on Windows 8, and that OS is going to be a reality soon. I find it somewhat funny because the older 1750 build will install just fine on Win8.
0 Kudos