ArcGIS Explorer to ArcGIS Explorer Online?

07-07-2010 06:12 AM
DanielLusher
New Contributor
Hello,

My eventual goal is to have a link on my website that directly links to a map in ArcGIS Explorer Online, so that visitors to my site can view and interact with the map without having to download any new program.

To accomplish this goal, my attempt was to create a map using ArcGIS Explorer, upload it to My Content on ArcGIS.com, and then try to open it using ArcGIS Explorer Online.  If a group was needed to publish the map, I was prepared to create one.  However, I have been unable to find a way to open it in this manner.  So far, all I can do is open it again via ArcGIS Explorer.  Is there a way to convert it to ArcGIS Explorer Online?

I looked at creating it directly with ArcGIS Explorer Online, but I only have shapefiles and layer files to create my map, not map services.  Reading through the help, I found I would need map services to build directly through there, and since I have no access to ArcGIS Server, the possibility for creating said service seems dim.

Reading an earlier thread, I believe it will soon be possible to link ArcGIS Explorer to my website, and can wait for that functionality to become availible.  The thread is http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/7444-Question-on-ArcGIS-Explorer-Online .

Any advice on a way to open via ArcGIS Explorer Online, or advice on a different method to achieve my goal would be very much appriciated.  Thank you.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
As you have already figured out, ArcGIS Explorer online only works with GIS data through services.  You need to publish your data to a service to use it with ArcGIS Explorer online.

Mark
0 Kudos
DanielLusher
New Contributor
Thank you for the confirmation, Mark.  I guess this means I'll need to find a way to create a service.
0 Kudos
elizabettinger
New Contributor
Mark (or anyone else who can help),

Is it possible for an individual user to "publish to a service"? What does this mean? Is there a help file you can recommend for me to read?

Essentially, I want to know: If I am an individual user with a single ArcGIS Desktop license, is it possible for me to add my locally stored shapefiles to ArcGIS Explorer Online? Is there anything I can do to make this possible?
0 Kudos
DanielLusher
New Contributor
When discussing "publishing a service", my meaning, and I believe Mark's meaning, had to do with ArcGIS Server.  You can get more information on that here:

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisserver/9.3.1/dotNet/

From what I've read, on this thread and others, I don't believe there is a way.  Threre also will not be a way in the upcoming release of ArcGIS Explorer 1500.  However, if I'm wrong, someone please let me know.  I'd love a way to upload shapefiles, etc, to ArcGIS Explorer Online.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Mark (or anyone else who can help),

Is it possible for an individual user to "publish to a service"? What does this mean? Is there a help file you can recommend for me to read?

Essentially, I want to know: If I am an individual user with a single ArcGIS Desktop license, is it possible for me to add my locally stored shapefiles to ArcGIS Explorer Online? Is there anything I can do to make this possible?

Eliza,

While it's not currently possible to publish a Shapefile directly to ArcGIS.com and have that consumable by users of web applications, you can however create Layer Packages with ArcGIS Desktop (right click on a Layer or Group Layer in the Table of Contents in ArcMap) which can then be easily used by ArcGIS Explorer Desktop and ArcGIS Desktop users. If you really want to upload Shapefiles you try zipping them up, but that would create an extra hurdle in their use by people downloading them - Layer Packages are a much better option).

Unfortunately we're not quite at the point of anyone being able to upload a Shapefile and in return receive a link to a new map service - but what you can do is start preparing for that future scenario - so rather than Shapefiles I would suggest migrating to the newer File Geodatabases and familiarising yourself with Layer Packages since they are a much better mechanism for bundling up some data with associated information such as copyright text and a description.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos