Can ArcGIS Explorer be run in read-only mode?

11-09-2010 09:14 AM
JamesStewart
New Contributor
Hi Folks,

I am trying to deploy maps to our vehicles which will have ArcGIS explorer installed on Panasonic CF-30 Tough-Books. The Tough-Books have access to our network drives from the field (I'm trying to do this without incurring the cost of the server app).  I have ArcGIS Explorer running on a Tough-Book in my office but notice that it places locks on all of my shape files... I need to be able to update these shape files... My question is, is there a way to run the application in read-only mode?  This is also important because I don't want users to be able to modify the mainfile.nmf anyway... (I need the utility to open with a default configuration each time it is launched - in case users modify visible layers, etc.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

James
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
James,

I see two main things to consider.

1.  Lock files on shapefiles used by ArcGIS Explorer.

2. Make sure ArcGIS Explorer users can't mess up the map.

For 1
This is how I would approach the problem.  I would create layer packages out of the shapefiles, placing the layer packages in a central location.  I would then build my ArcGIS Explorer map using the layer packages.   In the future the shapefiles can be edited (ArcGIS Explorer is not referencing them, so they are not locked), the layers also can be modified (except for the name) and just overwrite the layer package with a new layer package to update the ArcGIS Explorer maps.  Just make sure the Layer Package you are over-writing has the same name, and the same number of layers with same names inside.  To keep it simple one layer package per layer (shapefile) in your map. (don't use groups layers)

One thing for you and your map users to be aware of, when you update the layer package, the ArcGIS Explorer user will not see the update until they re-open the map.  You could make this be the default map, and they just shut down ArcGIS Explrorer and restart, or they just go to the file menu - Open and select the map, to reload it and see the update -  No restart required.  You would still need to notify them when an update occurs though.

For 2
You most likely want to use an Application Configuration.  There are many options available for the amount of control that your users will have.

The basic idea is to create an application configuration (NCFG) and deliver that to your users.  The NCFG is a custom configured "view" of the ArcGIS Explorer application and a specific map.

Take a look at the help here http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1500//en/appconfigs.htm

The NCFG can even be accessed by reference, so you could make upades to it and your users will just see the changes when they open ArcGIS Explorer... changes to the ArcGIS Explorer interface and/or the map.  A lot of flexibility.

You can try this application configuration to get an idea for how they can be used.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=8943032b54c2490991a6c5887e2f969d

Mark
0 Kudos
JamesStewart
New Contributor
Thanks Mark,

Everything works like a charm.

As far as best practice, would you say it's best to push out a shortcut to the config file (.ncfg), or push out a shortcut to the main map file (.nmf) that has the configuration file set within?  I like the former option because I can still make updates to the main map file... however, it leaves open the possibility for people to navigate and open the main file directly and make modifications...
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
James,

There are a variety of ways to manage this depending on what you want to allow your users to do.  Providing the application configuration (NCFG) shortcut to the users in your organization is pretty straight forward and probably easy for everyone to understand from a management perspective.

You could let your users browse and open any map, just take away there ability to save it.  You could also put the main map in a folder that your users only have read access to,  that way they could not over-write it, but they could save the map to their own computer and make their own variation of the map, or make new maps if they need to.

If you want to make sure they are using the map that you provide, giving them an Application Configuration (NCFG) is a good solution.

Mark
0 Kudos
JamesStewart
New Contributor
Thanks Mark - Owe you one!
0 Kudos