Determining what direction your lines go in...or the "flow" of "arcs"

05-31-2012 07:05 AM
KevinDoyle
New Contributor II
Hi,

I have been assigned the task of creating a route network for the sidewalks in a major city.  I created the route layer from a pre-existing poly-line feature class.  Unfortunately, there is no attribute that tells these sidewalks to go in a particular direction as they have not been surveyed yet.  I am stuck on trying to figure out how to assign the sidewalk route layer some sort of sensible direction or "flow".  Ideally, I'd like them all to flow from one end of a street to the other.  All of my sidewalk routes are broken down into individual segments.  One street may have as few as 2 segments, where major roads may have as many as 20+.

So the 2 questions I have:

1.) How do I determine what direction my arcs are going in? Is there a tool that I can click to identify my lines and have it show me which direction the line is traveling in?

2.)If there is a tool to determine Arc direction (which I know there is-just don't know where to find it), is there a quicker method to get them to run from one of the street to the other without having to go through and individually rotate each segement (there is 1,500 segements).

This is something I'd like to get done today, so if you think you can help, I will be notified quicker by personal email. kdoyle2360@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
0 Replies