Does not work with Windows 8.1!!

10-21-2013 05:25 PM
AdamGuo
New Contributor II
AGX doesn't work with Windows 8.1. I tried to reinstall but fails (as in picture). Any fixes coming up?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28503[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
The setup.exe as part of the download does not recognize 8.1, but you can install by using the .msi in the download folder.  The download folder is in your temp folder.. if you downloaded the setup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28557[/ATTACH]

You can also copy the install folder of ArcGIS Explorer desktop and all files from a computer that you have installed on, to an 8.1 machine, set your own shortcut to the e3.exe, and run ArcGIS Explorer desktop on 8.1 as well.  This would be the same as the process for running ArcGIS Explorer desktop from a USB drive.

The next version of ArcGIS Explorer desktop setup.exe will install on Windows 8.1

Mark
0 Kudos
TomHopkins
New Contributor
Tried to use the msi installer but the program does not load the default world map.  When to expect the next build that will work with Windows 8.1?
thanks
0 Kudos
NathanCoon
New Contributor III
Tried to use the msi installer but the program does not load the default world map.  When to expect the next build that will work with Windows 8.1?
thanks

That's two different things. Assuming the msi installer actually installed the program? the default map not loading is related to video card issues. try updating the video drivers.
0 Kudos
TomHopkins
New Contributor
The program and map worked using Windows 8.  I have my doubts about needing to update video drivers to 8.1.
0 Kudos
NathanCoon
New Contributor III
The program and map worked using Windows 8.  I have my doubts about needing to update video drivers to 8.1.

8.1 was a big update, and most video card makers have been releasing updated video drivers to be compatible with 8.1. Should try it instead of just saying you doubt it would work.
0 Kudos
PalmerPawo
New Contributor
I had the same problem.
I tried to install AGX via msi-installer and everthing works fine for me 🙂

Thanks a lot for the hint
0 Kudos
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II
The setup.exe as part of the download does not recognize 8.1, but you can install by using the .msi in the download folder.  The download folder is in your temp folder.. if you downloaded the setup.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28557[/ATTACH]

You can also copy the install folder of ArcGIS Explorer desktop and all files from a computer that you have installed on, to an 8.1 machine, set your own shortcut to the e3.exe, and run ArcGIS Explorer desktop on 8.1 as well.  This would be the same as the process for running ArcGIS Explorer desktop from a USB drive.

The next version of ArcGIS Explorer desktop setup.exe will install on Windows 8.1

Mark

This worked for the installation.  However now the basemaps disappear.  If I had saved a map with basemaps before they are there but I cannot change basemaps.
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Karen:

Have you tried this?  Open Internet Explorer and go to: >Tools >Internet Options >Connections tab >LAN Settings button >Uncheck "Automatically detect settings" >OK >OK

Now open AGX and see if your Basemap button on your Home ribbon is populated with map options.
0 Kudos
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II
No that did not fix it.  Still no Basemaps in 8.1.  Not sure why IE settings would affect running a desktop app, but I realize that's coming over the web.
0 Kudos