Help with shape files

04-06-2012 03:11 AM
NeilEverett
New Contributor
Hi All I keep getting a unknown coordinate system when I try to use this file contents ie the shape and style files plesase can some one help me with this?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
It looks like there is no .prj file in your attached folder (this is where the spatial reference is stored). You may want to look at the How to Identify the spatial reference, projection, or coordinate system of data Knowledge Base Article to define the proper projection of your shapefile in ArcGIS Desktop.
0 Kudos
NeilEverett
New Contributor
Hi thank you for your comments I still cannot seem to work it out any other idea's?
0 Kudos
AdelItani
New Contributor II
Hy nodd,
Try to do the following for part of checking:
1- make sure your shape file has data, (it seems you have an empty DBF file, means not data there !)
2- Open your shape file which has data in ArcView
3- Write down the coordinates of some feature data
4- Compare the coordinates, with any similar or close coordinates from other shapes, and try to figure out an approximate projection.

My own decision, it is impossible to know the correct projection, without a help from your the source of the data.
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Yes, the dbf has no records in it. However, without the prj, you are going to have problems opening it in Explorer. Typically, KB Article 29129 will walk you through determining if your data are in a Geographic, Projected, or Local Coordinate system. Once you determine this, you will then proceed with the proper related article at the bottom of KB 29129 to determine which coordinate system it is in. It can be a long process, but you should be able to determine the spatial reference of your data without contacting the source. However, your shapefile has no features in it, so there is no extent in the Source tab. You may want to contact your source of the data to see what is going on. Preferably you would get a shapefile with some data in it and the .prj file. However, if they do not have the .prj and do not know what spatial reference it is, we could still figure out the spatial reference if there were some features in the shapefile.
0 Kudos