How Do You Identify Features in AGX 1500?

12-21-2010 09:29 AM
JonBecker1
New Contributor II
I am using AGX Build 1500. I am trying to simply perform the classic Identify task where you use the Identify button to click on a feature to get the tabular info for that feature. Build 1500 doesn't appear to have an Identify button. In my notes from when I took the AGX online tutorial I wrote that to Identify a feature, you need to double-click on the feature and an Identify popup window will come up. However, when I try this now double-clicking on a feature only seems to re-center the map. I don't see any Identify window--is it perhaps hidden somewhere that I can't see? If so, how do I get it to reappear. Please help! I know this is a pretty elementary task, but I can't seem to find an answer on how to do it anywhere, even in the Help. Thanks, Jon
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
A single click of a feature will open the popup window.

If you added the data directly, like a shapefile for geodatabase, you can also set up popup properties in the layer properties.   Right click on the layer in the table of contents and click properties.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1500//en/identifying_items_in_the_map.htm#

For ArcGIS layers (layer packages and LYR files) the HTML popup property needs to be set by the creator of the layer.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00s50000002r000000.htm

For mapservices there is a popup property that you can turn on in ArcGIS Explorer.  Again right click on the service layer and set it's popup property.

In general for services and ArcGIS Layers it is best if the popup properties were set by the creator of the service or layer.  ArcGIS Explorer just honors the defined popup behavior.  HTML popup properties were introduced in ArcGIS 9.3.1    Using ArcGIS Server 10 the HTML popup properies of the layers in the MXD or MSD are maintained and honored for services.  You shoud see the popup in ArcGIS Explorer as you would see it using ArcMap with the same data.

Mark
0 Kudos
MatteoVirga
New Contributor II
I have the same problem, the identify tool seems to work only at some scale...
0 Kudos
JonBecker1
New Contributor II
Mark, thanks. Yes, the problem was I was trying to identify features in layer files that did not have HTML PopUp activated. Once I set that in the layer file, it fixed my problem (most of the time that is--still occasionally have problems that can't seem to be fixed even by activating the PopUp in the layer file). Also, I should have said single-click, not double-click of course.
0 Kudos