Imported locations appearing incorrectly

04-24-2012 07:35 AM
JimWright
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm a very new user of Explorer and am trying to import a spreadsheet containing various data including locations. I've tried using a number of formats for the location and keep coming up against some similar problems, namely:

• Using British National grid coordinates the points appear all grouped together somewhere to the south west of the Scilly Isles. This happens even when I copy coordinates into my file from Explorer itself

• Using lat-long the points appear correctly positioned relative to each other but a considerable distance (tens of kilometers) from the correct locations. Just like with the BNG coordinates this happens when I copy the information from Explorer

I guess that I'm missing something in terms of using the correct projection but I'm afraid I'm too much of a novice to be able to figure out what I need to do. Any help or pointers to where I can learn would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jim
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CodyScott
Occasional Contributor
You'll need to make sure that your map has the same projection as your points.

If you created your points in ArcMAP you should be able to figure out which coordinate they are by examining their property within ArcMap or ArcCatalog.

Once you've figure that out, you can change the map projection within ArcExplorer.
In your application menu click "Map Properties" then "2D Coordinate System".

Thats where the coordinate systems are held.

Change your projection to the one which your points are and it will hopefully work.

Best of luck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13807[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13808[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
JimWright
New Contributor
Brilliant!

Thank you very much; I knew it had to be simple, but then anything is when you know how...
0 Kudos