Invalid Data Source in re-opened map

05-20-2010 02:08 PM
KaylaFolkins
New Contributor III
Have just installed 1200, connected to our SDE (Direct Connect) and loaded a dataset that successfully displayed.  However, when the map is saved and re-opened, the dataset shows the error icon and mouse tip says "Invalid Data Source".  Repeated process with both different data and different (3-tier) connection, same results (success/save/error on re-open)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome as we are looking to implement Explorer to multiple users in our organization.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Kayla,

Do you save the credentials when you create the ArcSDE connection? (save username and password). I believe this should resolve the issue. In the next release of ArcGIS Explorer due in the summer we are making it much easier to reconnect to broken data sources.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
KaylaFolkins
New Contributor III
Hi Mike -

Yes, the credential information for the SDE connection has been saved - in fact, the geodatabase connection is still present when I access the 'Add Content' function, and it works.  I walked through the process again, re-saved, closed & re-opened, and the newly added layer is invalid again.  Most puzzling!
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Kayla,

You can get around this issue for ArcSDE data by changing a map property to store the authentication in the NMF or NMC file.

To write the authentication into the map.

1. Click the File Menu (ArcGIS Explorer Logo upper left corner of the application).
2. Click Map Properties
3. Click Data Access
4. Check "Write authentication information for secure services into the map document"
5. Save the Map or Export from the contents window.

This will store the authentication in the NMF or NMC files that you create, and the layer will connect to the geodatabase server correctly.

Currently you are seeing a broken link, when you should be prompted to enter the authorization information.  This is a problem that will be worked on for the next release.  You should only see broken links when the server is not reachable, or you are unable to provide the proper authentication.

-Mark
0 Kudos
KaylaFolkins
New Contributor III
Hi Mark -

Changing that setting did the trick; the data link remained intact - thank you for the info.  Am I correct in assuming that because this is a map property setting, it cannot be addressed with the application configuration?  If a basemap is created with this setting, would it be a way to work-around the issue?  We are trying to deploy Explorer to to new users in the organization and want to simplify the process as much as possible.

Thank you again for the information,

klf
0 Kudos
JonFisher
New Contributor III
This is a major obstacle to me using ArcGIS Explorer. At version 500, it was possible to NOT save the credentials so that each user would log in using their own credentials (thus avoiding the security hole of having a file anyone can open). Every time you reopen a map in v500 that has unsaved credentials it simply prompts you to log in, just as it works in ArcMap when you do the same.

This broke at v900, and it's distressing that it remains broken at v1200. Having to send instructions to each user on how to connect to the server is a lot more onerous (and less safe) than simply making a file available that will prompt for a login and then work with no hassle. Any plans to actually fix this? The user gets a misleading error (invalid data source) with no prompt that all that's missing is some credentials.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Rapairing broken layers with invalid data sources (ArcSDE, ArcGIS Server, file-based, etc) has been addressed in the next release of ArcGIS Explorer - 1500 - which is due out this summer.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos