Is there any workaround to draw a 3d line in ArcGIS explorer Desktop 2505

Jump to solution
09-23-2014 04:30 AM
marinatarajan
New Contributor II

Please let us know , if there is any workaround to draw 3d line on arcgis Explorer desktop

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Make sure that all of the points have an "absolute" placement.    If any of them are set as "attach to surface" the line will not "float"

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Mari,

This is very much a workaround....

You could create point notes and set them to an absolute height.

pointnotesabsolute.png

Then use this Add-in  Points to Line.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=cbac8eb455364bbbaf931f75218c9b31

In the table of contents ctrl + click the Note points in the order you want to draw the line.

crtlclick123.png

Then use the Add-in and press the button on the ribbon.  It will add a line note in the order the notes were clicked., "Connecting the Dots"

pointstoline.png

the line will be drawn on the ground.  

Right Click on the line note in the table of contents, Click Properties and set it's placement to Absolute.

lineplacementabsolute.png

The line will now connect the dots in 3D.

lineconnectin3d.png

Mark

marinatarajan
New Contributor II

Dear Mark,

Thank you so much for your answer. Got surprised to see 3d line in your screenshots of arcgis explorer ... But i am not getting the same while i try...the line is on ground surface even after setting the line property to "Absolute" after following the procedure as you briefed...I am using ArcGIS Explorer 2505 .Please let we know in which version it works...Or if it not problem with version, where it may go wrong...

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Make sure that all of the points have an "absolute" placement.    If any of them are set as "attach to surface" the line will not "float"

Mark

0 Kudos
marinatarajan
New Contributor II

Dear Mark,

It worked today with 2500 version ... Thank you so much...

0 Kudos