Major Bug with GIS Explorer????

04-29-2010 11:57 AM
DonCopple
Occasional Contributor III
Build 1200/900 will not work when you have ArcMAP 9.3 installed.  Installing 1200 caused 9.3 to not startup, and fixing 9.3 caused build 1200 not to work.  I have reinstalled build 900 and it crashes 9.3 too.  What gives, can't you have both on the same machine!!!!!!  Someone thorw me a bone here.  Did not have the image server, or other files running that is said needed to be disabled.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
EricPaitz
Esri Contributor
Yeah I had ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 and AGX 900. I ran the uninstaller for AGX 900 because I wanted to install 1200 and its uninstaller broke my ArcGIS Desktop. During the uninstall I saw it was removing files that I know are part of ArcGIS Desktop. I totally uninstalled all my ESRI software and reinstalled all of it and went directly to AGX 1200 and its all working well now.
0 Kudos
JacobMundt
New Contributor
running ArcEditor Standalone 9.3.1 (build 3000), ArcGISExplorer (build 1200) concurrently, all is fine. Windows 7 Enterprise, 64bit.
0 Kudos
BradfordFolta
Occasional Contributor
Same problem here - running the ArcGIS Explorer uninstall and it began removing ArcGIS 9.3.1, I had to reinstall 9.3.1 from scratch, pretty bad mistake there ESRI.
0 Kudos
DonCopple
I'll give that a try, I don't see anything on there site that fixes it yet.  Should make a patch for it at the very least I think.  I 'll post my results if it works.  Thanks for the sugestions.....
0 Kudos
PhilippeDerynck
New Contributor II
Hi,

I have a similar problem on one of the pcs in my organization. I've installed AGE 1200 on a pc with ArcGIs Desktop 9.3. AGE 1200 crashes on startup. I've uninstalled ArcGis Desktop 9.3 and AGE 1200 and the I've installed ArcGis Desktop 9.3.1 and AGE 1200. AGE 1200 still crashes on startup. I don't have a clue why?

dmp file in attachment.
0 Kudos
DonCopple
How do you create a dump file to look for the error.  1200 now looks like it is trying to start and then crashes, got ArcGIS desktop running again though.  Is anyone from ESRI reading the forum?  I have sent the error reports every time, but have gotten no reply to the issue.  Even if it is "we're sorking on it and have a solution soon".  I still say this is a major bug!
0 Kudos
DonCopple
Yep, me too, still cannot get it to work with Arc Desktop on the same machine.  Have gone through most of the install/uninstall will try a complete uninstall and install now.  Can't get anyone from ESRI to respond to this issue.  I see I am not the only one that is having this problem.
0 Kudos
LindsayKing
New Contributor
ArcGIS Explorer (both 900 and 1200 versions) should be able to run on the same machine with ArcGIS Desktop. 

We are aware of one issue caused by the removal of ArcGIS Explorer 900.  A KB article has been written with more details:
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=37707

Running a Repair on the ArcGIS Desktop setup should resolve most problems (can be done through "Add/Remove Programs" or "Programs and Feautres", depending on OS).  Please note however, if ArcGIS Desktop 9.2 or 9.3 is installed or repaired after ArcGIS Explorer is installed, it will also be necessary to repair the Explorer setup.  Once this repair is complete, both products should function correctly.

If problems continue after the Repairs are performed, please provide details regarding your system environment (e.g. what OS, what ESRI products are installed, and are there any ESRI and/or non-ESRI extensions installed?), so we can try to determine the cause of the problem.

Thank you,
Lindsay
0 Kudos
DonCopple
Still experiencing this problem with repairing both products, I am attempting to unistall 1200 and reinstall 900 to see if I can get the old version to work again.  Will try the full install of both products if that doesn't do it.  Will post results here.
0 Kudos