Metadata in ArcGIS Explorer

11-17-2011 04:03 AM
JonBecker1
New Contributor II
I have a suggestion, not so much as a question. I really like ArcGIS Explorer for the Desktop and have become an active advocate for the product at our office. While it still seems a little buggy and unstable at times, overall I think the tool is great and I've converted many Google Earth users to the AGX side. I've even installed it on my home computer and use it to plan and record notes about camping and paddling trips. However, I still have one big thing I would change with AGX and that is to allow users to view the complete metadata for shapefiles/geoDBs/layer files that are in the project. I understand AGX is meant to be a light spatial data viewer and that users can view the general description, but  I really think users need to be able to access the full details about a dataset, such as explanations of attribute fields, special codes, limitations, etc that aren't always in the general description. Ideally, a user would just right-click on a layer in the table of contents and have a choice for View Metadata, as you can in ArcGIS. If an add-in or work around for this has been designed, please let me know, but I would suggest making it part of the standard AGX software. Thanks for considering this!
Jon
Atlanta, GA
0 Kudos
0 Replies