Not possible to add content from ArcGIS Online?

10-26-2013 06:39 AM
TsanKolev
New Contributor III
Hello,

I find ArcGIS Explorer a good way to view maps, however I have a really hard time finding a way to expose data from my ArcGIS Online trial account to it.

When I browse the layers from the Layers button all I see is 4 layers, which are some basic ESRI layers. When I do a search from the Search Window button I am able to find the maps that were created in ArcGIS Online, but when I try to add them, all I receive is the Basemap and not any of the feature services or layers that have been added.

I was googling this problem for some days now, but without any result. There is a tutorial on ESRI's resources web site on how to add content from ArcGIS Online, but for me the button ArcGIS Online on the main menu and at the drop-down Add Content button is completely missing.

I'm running ArcGIS Explorer 2500 on Windows 7 64-bit machine. ArcMap works just fine.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Tsan,

Did you make sure you are logged into your ArcGIS online account within ArcGIS Explorer?

Once ArcGIS Desktop is open, click the ArcGIS Explroer Desktop Icon , then click "Sign In". Once signed in you can search for your map in the search window and it should open up with the layers that are in your map. (I just tested it and it worked).

You also find some more information here.

Tim
0 Kudos
TsanKolev
New Contributor III
Dear Tim,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I am signed in when I try to get content from ArcGIS Online. I am able to see the basemap of the map that I try to access, but not the layers.

I just noticed that the problem occurs only when the map that I have created in ArcGIS Online is having hosted features service. Actually this is a major drawback for me, because most of the maps I have are using hosted feature services. Still, it is very strange for me why can't the ArcGIS Explorer access them.

Kind regards,
Tsan
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Are you using hosted services from your own ArcGIS server or do you have an organizational account and host your feature services there?
0 Kudos
TsanKolev
New Contributor III
We have decided to give ArcGIS Online a try and we currently have trial organizational account and it's where they are hosted.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You are right, when I switch to my Organizational account where I have a hosted feature service, it doesn't load either.
0 Kudos
BenjaminDash
New Contributor
Has anyone managed to resolve this problem? I am able to use the Search Window to find my organisations Web Maps, which have feature services assosciated with feature layers in the map, but when i add the map all layers EXCEPT the feature service layers are added to ArcGIS Explorer Desktop. Also when I go to Add Content | Add GIS Service, ArcGIS Online is not appearing as a GIS Server to select. These feature services work fine in ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS.com Map and Collector for ArcGIS. Why not in ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 2500?
0 Kudos