Problems with World Topography basemap

06-03-2011 09:31 AM
PeterLindstrom
Occasional Contributor
I have a laptop that has trouble bringing up the World Topography basemap in ArcGIS Explorer. It starts up with the World Imagery basemap, and I can navigate around that just fine, but I click to change it to World Topo and it just sits there without the view ever changing (I waited at least 5 minutes). It doesn't completely lock up the program, but I can't do anything in the map pane, even after going back to the My Default map. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling build 1500, but it didn't fix anything.

The laptop is a Dell D820 with 2GB RAM and running Windows XP; I don't have this problem on my desktop PC with 4GB RAM and running Windows 7 or a D830 laptop with 4GB RAM and running Windows XP.

Ideas?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndreiIvanov
New Contributor III
Do you experience this behavior only with World Topography basemap? If you change it to any other basemap what's your experience?

Did you try to update graphics card drivers on your laptop? It always helps.
0 Kudos
PeterLindstrom
Occasional Contributor
Now that you mention it, I have the problem switching to any of the basemaps. Using an application configuration with another basemap works, but opening a map with a different basemap doesn't work.

I don't think the graphics drivers have ever been updated, and yet NVIDIA says I'm running the latest version.
0 Kudos
AndreiIvanov
New Contributor III
Try adding service layer directly from the ArcGIS Online Server:

http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/services
0 Kudos
PeterLindstrom
Occasional Contributor
That works just fine. Any idea what the problem with the "basemap switcher" is?
0 Kudos
MatthewMurray1
New Contributor III
I am noticing the issue in build 2500, Was there ever an answer or solution?
0 Kudos
PeterLindstrom
Occasional Contributor
No, I don't remember ever coming across a solution to this. There's a chance version changes resolved it, though (and then re-broke it?).
0 Kudos