Raster Coordiantion and Projection

09-01-2010 08:47 AM
TaiseerHarb
New Contributor
Hello,

I have a raster grid for the digital elevation model for a certain part in China. When I view the rasters' properties, it shows that the units in Degrees. On the ArcGIS, the units also are in Degrees. I can also see the following information:
- Spatial Reference: GCS_WGS_1984
- Linear Unit:
- Angular Unit: Degree (0.01745329251)
- Datum: D_WGS_1984

The questions are:
1- How can I convert this coordination system,
2- What is the coordination system that I should use,
3- My objective is to have the Units in meters or Kilometers, because I need the ASCII file of the dem for further applications.

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
EdanCain
New Contributor II
Hi,

The questions are:
1- How can I convert this coordination system,

On the Display tab, click the Coordinates combobox and select <..More..>, then select the projection you wish. You can also click the Explorer world button at the top left, click map properties, 2D or 3D coordinateSystem, then choose projected. The positional bar will show you your location based on that projection, in the units of the projection also. When you look at the properties of a note etc, you will see that the lat long values are described in units of your chosen projection.

2- What is the coordination system that I should use,
WGS-84 is the best world wide projection

3- My objective is to have the Units in meters or Kilometers, because I need the ASCII file of the dem for further applications.
Change the Distance combobox to Meters, Kilometers. If you want to perform measurements, simply change the Measure tool's units to kms or meters.

Edan
0 Kudos