saving ArcGIS explorer maps as pdf

08-14-2010 06:52 PM
CarlosCano
New Contributor
Is it possible to save my maps from arcgis explorer as pdf? jpeg?

Can I import them into Arc 9.3?

thank you
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Out of the box ArcGIS Explorer does not offer an export to PDF option. However, there are several free and paid-for PDF converters availabler which you can call programmatically within a custom Add-In (e.g. you might write an "Export to PDF" Button Add-In). I recommend typing, for example, "free PDF converter C#" into your favourite internet search engine - this will reveal some options that you could look into.

There are a number of ways to share content with ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1, which are improved again at the imminent ArcGIS Explorer 1500 release - for example through the sharing of Layer Packages. I suggest watching out for this new release rather than invest too much time now in trying to find a way to share content between Explorer and Desktop.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
NateBradshaw
New Contributor III
folks in our office need to simply view and print data.
0 Kudos
ChrisMahon2
New Contributor
Same goes for us.  It would seem being able to save and send a JPG or PNG or PDF of a map would be a given in any of these types of applications.  Google Earth has this feature as well.  I like ArcGIS Desktop, but not being able to save an image of my map is pretty much a deal-breaker.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
it is posible to copy what is currently displayed on the screen to clipboard, and then past in the application of your choice.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1700//en/copy_to_clipboard.htm#

or you can print.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1700//en/dialog_print.htm#

-Mark
0 Kudos
AndreiIvanov
New Contributor III
ArcGIS Explorer does allow users to save and print view.

One way is to email view:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9159[/ATTACH]

or you can copy view to clipboard:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9160[/ATTACH]

if you need to save this view to file directly, it will take couple minutes to write such add-in. If export to pdf is necessary - you can research the topic, as Mike suggested. Hope it helps!
0 Kudos