Service/Layer brought in shows up as wrong service's content

02-03-2011 05:20 AM
StevenChamberlain
New Contributor
Working with AGX 1500, I've run into an issue a number of times now where I'll bring in a service (not necessarily the same one each time, and not necessarily from the same source) that will show up as another service's content. The source information on the layer in question refers to the correct source, but the content is from another layer. The only way I've found to resolve this is to clear the whole AGX cache, not just that layer's cache. This leads me to believe that there are some references getting crossed up within the local cache structure. My hypothesis is that as the local cache grows in size and number of different layers cached, it runs into a limit of some sort where it starts re-using directory IDs/names in the cache's folder structure.

Has anyone else witnessed this behavior? And, could anyone with a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes shed a little light on this and maybe offer a solution?

A little more background on why this is an issue... We are going to be deploying a modified configuration of AGX 1500 that has some custom add-ins and is running on a modified configuration that doesn't provide the user access to the stock 'ArcGIS Explorer Options' menu. Under this configuration the user will not be able to clear the entire cache at once, only layer by layer through the 'Manage Layers' window. I suppose one potential work around would be to schedule a 'clear cache' event every so often on startup.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,

-Austin
0 Kudos
2 Replies
StevenChamberlain
New Contributor
A variation of this issue came up earlier today where a couple of services were brought in and they never did draw. I removed the layers and then re-added with the same result. After clearing the entire cache and the requisite restart, I added the same two services and they worked fine. I'm not positive if these issues are actually the same or at least related, but the resolution (clearing entire cache) seems to be the only fix for both.

Anyone report similar issues? Anyone know of an explanation of the cause?

Thanks,

-Austin
0 Kudos
StevenChamberlain
New Contributor
This popped up again (after about 2 weeks of fairly heavy use...local cache had grown to 250-300 mb. Not huge by any means, but with a good number of, 80 or so, different services being brought in over the time...) and I was able to track the problem down a little more. Apparently what is happening is that AGX assigns a service to a local cache directory already inhabited by an service brought in previously.

In this case, there was an existing service's cache folder (though not much cache as it is a dynamic service...I'm assuming its a placeholder for temporary tiles in memory) that had a newly added service's (this one was a cached service) local cache built in the same folder. Each service's file (the one that defines the cache location for the given service) is in the folder. Since the existing service finds its file still in the folder, it must 'assume' that the cache that then exists in that folder is its own, and proceeds to draw it.

Does anyone from Esri know if this is a bug reported for build 1500? If not, it needs to be reported as such. Also, could anyone provide some more information about how AGX builds and uses local caches...particularly what it does with the empty folder structure for dynamic services? (this is a source of confusion for me, as I've seen a few 'dynamic' services with cached tiles in the local cache. They were geoRSS services, so they may be treated differently...).

Anyway, any info to help fully explain this behavior would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Austin
0 Kudos