Single point/coordinate, multiple features, representation

06-04-2012 04:31 AM
AdamJadhav
New Contributor
I've been using ArcGIS for about a week, so forgive my ignorance.

I've converted a massive CSV with coordinates (locations of observed ocean species) into a shapefile. These show up as points across my map. Many points have multiple "features" corresponding to individual species observations (in total more than 8,000) found at a given set of coordinates.

I want to display the points using some kind of symbology based not on a particular field value but the number of features per point/location.

I've been beating my head against a wall on this.

Any help would be much appreciated
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EdanCain
New Contributor II
Adam,
wrong forum, you would get a faster reply posting to the ArcGIS Desktop thread rather than this one.
However, have a look in the help for Classifying numerical fields for graduated symbology, I think from your description that this is what you want.

All the best,
Edan
0 Kudos
AdamJadhav
New Contributor
Thanks much... Will shift it there.

Adam
0 Kudos
AdamJadhav
New Contributor
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

But I'm going through ESRI Press tutorials and I've gotten as far as adjusting symbology based on attribute fields. But that doesn't solve my issue because I'm not wanting a gradient based on any field in the attribute table. I'm wanting it based on the number of features attached to a given point.

Again, multiple points (parts of the shape file with an X,Y coordinate represent numerous "features." Example, when I use the Identify tool to click on a particular point, my Identify Window slides open identifying the location, point, and various attribute fields of the first "feature." But nested beneath the layer name are 141 different observations (features) each representing a different species.

What I want is to adjust the symbol for the point so that the gradient reflects the differing number of features between points.

Adam
0 Kudos