Strange behavior with Table Of Contents point symbology

12-01-2011 04:16 AM
MatthewFrank
New Contributor
This might be hard to explain, but when I load either a layer file or a REST service into the TOC and then try to expand the symbology of a point layer, the symbols are compressed together near the layer name. Then if you repeatedly open and close the layer, the symbols gradually separate into a normal looking legend. Additionally if there are layers or services listed below the one being expanded, some of them disappear until the expanded group is completely closed and then they reappear again.

A live demo of this would work much better to explain this behavior but hopefully someone can understand this issue and help find a solution.

I've attached before and after (multiple opens and closes) screen shots of one of the problems.

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KatharinaDubach
Occasional Contributor III
I have no idea whether this behaviour is relaed, but every now and then, my table of contents goes completely grey (like the background of a window with no content). Clicking anywhere in this grey area will reveal the one layer at the clicking location but not the rest of the TOC. I have to switch between the different tabs of the TOC to have its appearance return to normal. (This is in ArcView 9.3)

I put this behaviour down to ArcGIS not redrawing the screen properly upon certain actions. (Same as lines dissapearing from the attribute table when you save edits, for example.)

Not that this is going to help you, I guess...
0 Kudos