"Specified method is not supported" error message

07-25-2011 08:46 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jhong14

When I tried to import a shapefile, I got the attached error message.
I thought the size of the file was too big, so I selected a few features, and exported to another shapefile.
The new shapefile was successfully imported.
However, when I checked the size, the new one was bigger.

What does the error message mean?
What do I have to do if I want to import the original shapefile?

Just in case, I also attached the original shapefile.

Thanks.

Jessie
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: sgill

Hi - I'm afraid I'm not sure what's causing this failure, we'll let you know by posting back here when we know exactly what the issue is here.

When I tried to import a shapefile, I got the attached error message.
I thought the size of the file was too big

If your file size is too large, you will get a different error message, saying that files above 10MB are not supported, so it's definately not the overall file size.
0 Kudos
mrmark
by
Occasional Contributor
Exact same problem here.  I exported various pieces of my shapefile out and some of them worked, some didn't.  I've attached one that didn't.  It is a single multipart polygon of Russia. It is from the Countries shapefile from ESRI with an added field to it.  I've made no changes otherwise.  Exporting the US and Canada works fine, I got up to North and South America and Africa before it started giving me the "Specified method is not supported" error.
A man's feet should be planted in his country, but his eyes should survey the world. - G. Santayana
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: sgill

It is a single multipart polygon of Russia. It is from the Countries shapefile from ESRI with an added field to it.

Hi Mark - I've had exactly the same (same dataset, same feature) issue previously reported by a colleague, although I dont know what precisely about this feature causes the issue yet. I've referred this one to the appropriate people for fixing, and it's on the list to be addressed.
0 Kudos