attachments do not display in explorer online

12-27-2011 07:17 AM
LauraMellem
New Contributor II
I have a feature service with attachments and "if a feature has attachments, show attachments" is enabled. However, the popup window shows that there are no attachments for features that do have them.  Any ideas what the issue is?  See photos: attachments show on the feature in ArcDesktop and in arcgis.com viewer, but not in explorer online.

Additionally, if I can fix this issue, I would also like to know if it is possible for my attachments (photos) to automatically display in the popup window instead of just being available to download.  In desktop I have configured html popups (see photo) to do this.  Is there a way to achieve this in explorer online?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikeRudden
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm not seeing the same issue as you. I've set up a service with attachments and I can view them in Explorer Online for both the map and feature service. The same as you mention - I made sure that popups were configured and that the attachments checkbox was checked (it is by default - see screenshots)

I've checked our bug tracking database and see that there is an open issue relating to a problem displaying attachments when the service is accessed through a proxy service.  So the obvious question to ask is whether your services are being accessed via a proxy? 

Also what version of ArcGIS Server are you using?

Is your service public - if so can you supply the url so that we can test it?  

I don't think it is possible for attachments to be shown automatically in the popup window using Explorer Online.

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: lakewoodbeacon

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your response.  No, I am not using a proxy. We registered a fully qualified domain with our external IP address and have the router pointing web traffic to the server running ArcServer.  The version is server 10.

Here is a sample of the service: http://bit.ly/wsKs3a

Please let me know if you come up with anything.

Thanks,
Laura
0 Kudos
MikeRudden
New Contributor
Hi Laura,

That's great - the link you posted allowed my to reproduce the issue.

looking at the http requests using Fiddler it looks like you don't have a clientaccesspolicy.xml file in place on your site.  Check out our Troubleshooting help page for more information about this file

In your case the data is visible - I think the reason for this is that when we fail to find a clientaccesspolicy fily or a crossdomain file we attempt to access the servces through a proxy - which in this case is succeeding. However, due to our bug accessing attachments through a proxy these are not showing up - we will also investigate this issue again.

So please add the clientaccesspolicy file to the root of your site and re-test to see if the attachments show up.

Thanks
Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: lakewoodbeacon

Excellent!  It is working now.  Thanks for the help!

Laura
0 Kudos
LauraMellem
New Contributor II
Mike,

Help!  I've resumed data collection on this service after creating the client access policy file and I can't seem to add attachments anymore.  Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!

Laura
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: sgill

Hi Laura - Mike is away at the moment, but I will see if I can help.

I had a look at your clientaccesspolicy.xml file, and noticed that the XML declaration that's normally the first line of the file is missing. This should look like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
I dont know if this will have anything to do with the problem, but I think it might be worth correcting anyway.

I tried adding attachments to your service, and noticed that smaller files work. I attached a jpeg of under 4KB to the top-left feature successfully (5692 Bellaire Drive in case you want to delete this again), but when I tried to add the same photo resized so that the file size was 15KB, this failed. The error message I could see in Fiddler was fairly generic, error code 400, Unable to complete  operation, Unable to add attachment for feature 130 in table 0. I dont know if there can be some kind of size limit imposed from the server side - perhaps it's worth finding out if the admin of the feature service if there is any known limit there. If you have ArcMap, maybe try adding from there too, in case this limit is purely from the web service side of things - I tried in the ArcGIS.com viewer to add the same files as attachments, and got the same failures as in Explorer Online.
0 Kudos