Editing already-imported data?

Jump to solution
06-08-2012 06:33 AM
IleanaBetancourt
New Contributor
Hi,
After uploading a csv file as a New Layer to ArcGIS Online Explorer, is it possible to edit that metadata or add more data to that Layer later?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
No, you can't augment the points after loading the CSV file. If your CSV file changes and you want that reflected in the map, I recommend hosting the CSV on a web server, then importing by referencing that URL. That way, each time the map is opened, the data will be re-loaded from the file to show the most updated information.

See: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisexplorer/help/#/Import_CSV_data/01560000004t000000/

Andy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
No, you can't augment the points after loading the CSV file. If your CSV file changes and you want that reflected in the map, I recommend hosting the CSV on a web server, then importing by referencing that URL. That way, each time the map is opened, the data will be re-loaded from the file to show the most updated information.

See: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisexplorer/help/#/Import_CSV_data/01560000004t000000/

Andy
0 Kudos
IleanaBetancourt
New Contributor
Okay, that's all I needed to know. Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
Correction on my earlier post.

You can add new features and edit existing ones interctivly after importing a CSV. However, if you want to augment it with additional data from a new CSV or the same CSV, i would still recommend the Url approach.

Andy
0 Kudos
IleanaBetancourt
New Contributor
Right okay.  So with the URL data, when/if the numbers change, the map also changes to display the updated numbers. For example, the weather forecast layers that are available on the ArcGIS Online "Add Content" search change as the weather forecast receives updates on the website. 

So if someone takes the URL approach, are they able to add new columns/attributes of data or should that be set up prior to establishing the layer?
0 Kudos