Failed to Import Shapefile, Invalid Shapefile

07-12-2011 12:45 PM
JosephRenzetti
New Contributor
When I export out a shapefile or create a new one, all of a sudden ArcGIS Explorer online is not able to import a shapefile. I keep getting an error box with the message, "Failed to Import Shapefile - Invalid Shapefile." I wish it would let me know why it was invalid. Anyone know of a solution to this? I had it working a few days ago.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
58 Replies
MikeRudden
New Contributor
Hi,

Yes it's documented here under 'Tips on importing CSV data':
http://helpdev.arcgis.com/en/arcgisexplorer/help/#/Import_CSV_data/01560000004t000000/

There is a 1000 feature limit for importing points, lines or polygons.

Mike
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I'm getting an error when attempting to import a shapefile that has more than 1000 points. Do you know if this is documented? For example, what are the limitations on line and polygon features as well?

There's a number of additions to the doc to help clarify some limits on uploads that will be available very soon (should be next couple of days), apologies this is not currently online. As the message you saw indicates, there is a feature limit on any type of upload (so that includes CSV) of 1000 features, and when geocoding address-based CSV data, there is a lower limit of 250 features. There is also a size limit on uploads of 10MB.
0 Kudos
SusanRadke
New Contributor
I'm afraid we've seen this error message returned when the actual reason for the failure is something else. Would you be able to post the problematic shapefile up on the forum (or email directly if you prefer - I'm sgill at esri.com) so we can check out the problem?

Thanks,

Shelly...can you also check my shapefile? I'm having the same problem uploading a zipped polygon shapefile to the ArcGIS Explorer site. I'm getting the same error #24305 "...the ring does not have enough distinct points." I've uploaded a bunch already, but this one won't work. Thanks!
slr
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I'm having the same problem uploading a zipped polygon shapefile to the ArcGIS Explorer site. I'm getting the same error #24305 "...the ring does not have enough distinct points."

Hi Susan - thanks for posting the shapefile, I get the error too. I'm not actually sure what's causing the error in this case, I have forwarded this to the team and will post back when I know about a fix.

The other failures in this thread are being looked at, although I dont have any news at this point, I will update when I get any information.
0 Kudos
Margaret_ShawChernosky
New Contributor II
Dear Shelly, I have followed the directions to import shapefile; only to get an error.
Could you check to see if this shapefile will work?
0 Kudos
Margaret_ShawChernosky
New Contributor II
Dear Shelly,
Update.... I defined a projection for the Atlanta shapefiles, then reprojected them to WGS 1984; but I still get a error. Please advise.
Margaret
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
Hi Margaret - your zipfile has three shapefiles in it - you should only have one shapefile in an upload. I will update the tips in the helpfile to make this clearer.
When I separated your data into 3 zipfiles and gave each a prj (I guessed at NAD 83 projection), the import of ATHIGH and ATTRACT shapefiles all worked fine for me, but Streets has greater than the 1000 feature limit (you should get a message indicating this), so would need to be split into separate uploads.

then reprojected them to WGS 1984; but I still get a error.

To be clear, as long as the data has that prj so the coordinate system is known, the data will be reprojected when it's imported to the map, to match the coordinate system of the map, so doesnt have to be reprojected beforehand.
0 Kudos
Margaret_ShawChernosky
New Contributor II
Dear Shelly,
I tried to "define projection" of each of the files and got errors in the redefining. I tried to use Geographic>North America >NAD1983 and Projected> UTM> Nad 1983 Zone 16 North.
Please advise, I am going crazy 🙂 with this.
Margaret
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
Hi Margaret - I've attached here the zipfiles that I uploaded - I had used ArcMap Catalog window to assign the geographic coordinate system NAD 1983. Here's a map with the Athigh and Attract zipfiles uploaded - the streets upload will fail unless you split the data into files with less than 1000 features.
0 Kudos
Margaret_ShawChernosky
New Contributor II
Dear Shelly,
I used your shapefiles for athigh and attracks and they worked perfectly!! Thank you.

In the ArcExplorer Online HELP pages, could you write up a "step by step" on how to prepare a shapefile. I was using Arctool box to assign a projection rather than ArcCatalog. Also, what is your best guess for a projection when you don't know it's source? The Atlanta data was from a ESRI Quick Start data set from ArcView 3.

Also, thank you for "being there" for me. This software is so new; there is no one close by to ask for help.
Margaret
0 Kudos