Failed to Import Shapefile, Invalid Shapefile

07-12-2011 12:45 PM
JosephRenzetti
New Contributor
When I export out a shapefile or create a new one, all of a sudden ArcGIS Explorer online is not able to import a shapefile. I keep getting an error box with the message, "Failed to Import Shapefile - Invalid Shapefile." I wish it would let me know why it was invalid. Anyone know of a solution to this? I had it working a few days ago.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
58 Replies
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I was using Arctool box to assign a projection rather than ArcCatalog. Also, what is your best guess for a projection when you don't know it's source? The Atlanta data was from a ESRI Quick Start data set from ArcView 3.

I can certainly include in the tips section a link to the appropriate ArcMap help topic for how I assigned a coordinate system - I'm not sure a step by step guide would be much clearer than the existing list of things to consider, as the steps will be different for different datasets - in some the projection is there, some have less than 1000 featutes etc.
For guessing a coordinate system, I'm afraid I have no good answers, although it's possible there may be improvements in ArcGIS 10.1 for coordinate system information. Basically if I know where in the world a dataset is for, I can sometimes guess the most likely coordinate system to have been used - e.g. USA using NAD 1983, or UK data using OSGB. I look for a national grid for data thats within a specific country, and look up information about this on the web. You dont always know if you got it exactly right, you may be slightly out, and the data may not quite line up - it's really about provenance of the dataset orignally - I think that Esri example datasets like Data and Maps  have included prj information in recent years, but older products or data found on the web may well be missing this.
0 Kudos
JeromeHaaland
Occasional Contributor
Am having the exact same problem as desribed below.  The attached *.zip file is the "Test" file that I am trying to load.  Please take a look at it and tell me the problem.

The amount of time wasted trying to upload a simple *.shp file is ridiculous.  Why does ESRI always release products that are not tested.  Many people have to use these products simply because they are the only GIS products on the market.  So ESRI takes advantage of this fact and releases poor quality software knowing their customers have no where else to go.
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
Hi MapMaker101 - I believe the test1.shp.xml file in your zipfile is causing the problem in this case - if you remove that from your zipfile, the upload works fine. I'm not sure what the precise problem is, as we have many other uploads that include the .shp.xml file, and these upload just fine. I will refer this for more testing to the appropriate colleague. The help lists the files that are used by the upload (.shp, .dbf, .shx and .prj) - all other files are irrelevant to the upload, but shouldnt cause it to fail. I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with this product, but please be assured we are working on addressing all errors that are reported on the forums.
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
I'm not actually sure what's causing the error in this case, I have forwarded this to the team and will post back when I know about a fix.

Hi Susan - a colleage noticed that in this shapefile, there are self-intersections in the polygons, and running the Repair Geometry tool in ArcGIS Desktop corrects these self-intersections and the file imports correctly (see attatched). There's two issues that remain to be corrected in the software - the error message given, and the difference between shapefiles supporting self-intersections, and the service which performs the upload not dealing with self-intersections.
0 Kudos
IrynaTalmazan
New Contributor
Hi Shelly, can you clarify the step by step procedures how can I zip directly a shapefile from my ArcMap Document for adding it to ArcGIS Explorer?
0 Kudos
IrynaTalmazan
New Contributor
Hi, Shelly. Can I compressed a shapefile using only ArcView 10? Thanks.
0 Kudos
IrynaTalmazan
New Contributor
Hi Shelly.
I bought the textbook "Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop" with a trial version of ArcGIS Desktop 10, ArcEditor license (single use) software that was downloaded at www.esri.com/esripress. Can I compress a shapefile using this textbook's software? Thanks.
0 Kudos
ShellyGill2
Occasional Contributor
Can I compress a shapefile using this textbook's software?

For uploading to ArcGIS Explorer Online, you just need to create a standard zip file with the shapefile .shp, .dbf, .prj, and .shx parts of the shapefile in it. On Windows, you can use a utility like WinZip, or use the built-in Windows file compression (right-click the files, point to Send to, and then click Compressed (zipped) folder). On a Mac there are many utilities you can use, like MacZip or WinZip for Mac.
0 Kudos
Margaret_ShawChernosky
New Contributor II
Dear Shelly,
I am following all the directions and yet I cannot import a zipped shapefile. Can you try this one for me, it is representative of all that I have been trying. If you can get to the bottom of my issue, maybe I can be successful with others.
Margaret
0 Kudos
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
Margaret,

Your shapefile files are in a folder within the zip archive, that is why its failing. The shapefile files must be at the root of the zip archive. Copy the shapefile files out of the archive, then select them and create a new archive with just the files at the root, then drag it onto your map.

I have attached a new archive of your data that illustrates this.

Andy
0 Kudos